Notices

please help me help a friend

Old 07-06-2005, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

please help me help a friend

hello everyone. i was woundering how to go about getting a friend of mine the help he need's. he has been in and out of the hospital alot latley due to overdose on crack.im mad they dont make him go to rehab they jusy fix him up and send him on his way. we dont want to turn our back on him but we are also scared to death the next call will be that he is dead.just woundering how we can go about helping him help himself.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi freemeshee, sometimes people will use what is called an intervension, you would have to get some of his family, freinds and concerned others together. it usually is done as a surprise, or they won't show. he needs to know how many care about him and care about what he's doing to himself. at the meeting he will have to make a commitmient to go to treatment at that moment! give him time and he will back out.

other then that almost everyone here will tell you that he will have to hit bottom. which is different for each of us. i had to almost die (well i did , but they brought me back) for me to wake my A** up.

good luck!
dean
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

The question is does he want help? You know you can lead a horse to water...Would he be willing to go to a Narcotics Anonymous meeting? If he's not "ready" for help, there's really nothing you can do but look after yourself. I suggest you try out a Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meeting. Or post over on the Nar-Anon board here. They can help YOU! Best wishes and prayers for you and your friend!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-07-2005, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I'm sorry to hear that

I know how much it sucks to see someone killing themself and there is nothing you can do to make them stop. I recently had to let one of my friends go after she relapsed and refused to come back to NA b/c she wanted to continue to get loaded. It is a hard thing to accept, but you can not make someone want to quit using dope. They have to get sick of it and realize they need help and ask for it. The best thing you can do for your friend right now is to not enable him, don't do anything that will make it easier for him to use drugs. Refuse to be around him if him if he is loaded or stung out, don't give him money for anything, let him know that your friendship continueing depends on him not doing anymore dope. It is a hard thing but he needs to feel the reprecussions of his continued drug use inorder for him to hit his bottom. Think of it as tough love, it is the absolute best thing you can do for him right now.