Notices

does stealing continue after drug use

Old 06-03-2005, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

does stealing continue after drug use

my daughter has tested clean for last two weeks for opiates and had naltraxone implant put in yesterday, but I've since learned that she has continued to steal these last two weeks. Is a lifestyle of stealing as hard a habit to break as the drug use... I'm lost. I always thought she stole for the drugs, but now I don't know. Any insight would be helpful.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

riverc,
Addiction is a spiritual, mental, and physical disease. As a recovering addict I can tell you that any time I quit using...I still felt like I had this horrible, dark hole in the pit of my soul. If I did not have pills or boos I would use whatever I could find to fill up the hole. Spending, eating...you name it. My behavior did not change until I experienced a "psychic change", as they say in 12 step programs. After this occured, as a result of the steps, I felt whole for the first time in my life. I was able to see where I was hurting people and to actually care and make it right...on a daily basis. I guess you could say the steps help us to develop a conscience.
That is just my experience.
Peace be to you
Tanya
Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's been 14 years and I can still recognize subtle and sometimes not so subtle ways this disease shows up in my life.

Addiction is more than the uncontrollable use of drugs.

Being abstinant from drugs does not necessarily equal recovery.

Is a lifestyle of stealing as hard a habit to break as the drug use...
yes... and no .... until we discover that our drug use isn't what caused us to be dishonest, we probably won't be able to quit being dishonest. After we come to terms with that we can become ready to address our defects of character by first identifying them and all the ways they manifest,then becoming entirely ready to have them removed.

A day at a time when we stay clean and work the steps miracles are possible. most of us come to the realization that we didn't get this way overnight and then we settle in for the long road to recovery a single step at a time.

I hope that helps.

Does your daughter go to NA meetings? Narcotics Anonymous has helped many addicts reclaim our lives.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for replies. No, she hasn't been going. And I'm working through 12 steps of naranon, trying to seperate from all the destruction. She's 19, I can't seem to quit trying to save her. Found out last night she has been writing checks on a federal checking account that i am representative payee of through work. I have an audit next week. I am devastated. Her stealing is out of control. Worse than the drugs. Tryng to find peace, but I keep getting knocked up side of the head!!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 12:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes

well that is an interesting topic. i have been clean for almost 4 months now and was doing alot better until i started taking money out of my girlfriends change jar. there was about $50 in coins and $20 in singles. she controls all of my money now so i can not get or have as easy access to getting drugs which is a good thing, but i needed money for various items (not drugs) and i did not know she was counting the money. she asked me about it and i lied, until she told me she was counting it, then i confessed. it was pretty difficult to lie anymore. so about your question, sure we probaly will. do not want to but this is who we are until we change. some are fast learners some are slow. thanks for the question.
brian d.addict