Notices

Is there a connection

Old 05-29-2005, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Is there a connection

After my experience with coke, I feel like it has unleashed a lot of **** from my childhood which have been repressed for 40 years.

I heard that if we don't deal with our primary family issues, we will act the out.

My mother died from alcoholism. I now am slowly killing myself with coke additition. I realise that I never really dealth with that. Could there be a connection?

Has anybody else found this the case?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

maybe

the first time i started using coke i was 33. i was obsessed with it for 2 years. i did a lot of stupid sh@# when i was doing it. i felt like i was 15 all over again. try to stop, try to get help, as soon as possible. i kicked it myself and have not used it in over a year. hang in there, get to meetings and talk to people all of the time, get a sponser if you can. you can do this we lived our childhood once! that is all we are suppose to...................
good luck
brian d.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Despite my best intentions, I became an alcoholic like my dad. It's just in my blood. And of course, alcohol can lead to other things, which it did for me.

There is always hope that you can be the one to change the pattern. It can stop with you.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is a song by Melissa Ethridge - "The Legacy" It talks about how we teach our children what we were taught, usually bad things. But at the end of the song she tells that we don't have to forward that crap on to our kids. It can stop here.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oooh, that's one of my biggest fears - passing on the anxiety, depression and tendacy towards substance abuse that I feel is in my 'genes'. I am literally scared to have kids...

But, on the bright side, I came from two loving parents who never touched a drug in thier life. They never abused us or drank. Now they have 3 full blown addicts as kids.
(I guess that part is not so much on the 'bright side' - I just meant that it doesnot always happen that way)

I know there is something to 'inheriting' the pre-disposition to aclohol or drugs (both my parents are depressed and anxious), but we can also pass on to our kids the right way of dealing with these problems. I'm in early recovery, so still am a little unsure on my feet. However, I'm sure, once I've got a handle on a healthy life and proper coping mechanisms, this fear of passing on my 'bad genes' wil subside.

Sorry to blaber, just what the post triggered in my teeny tiny lil' brain!

Much Love: SS