Her denial pizzes me off.

Old 05-22-2005, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Angry Her denial pizzes me off.

I'm training to be a substance abuse counselor myself, but I'm just getting started so I have no idea how to handle this thing that's come up. A friend from rehab emailed me and explained she was suing the school that sent her to treatment. She said she's having trouble getting work because of this history. I think it's because she hasn't stayed sober, but she seems to be arguing that she's not even a alcoholic! I don't know how to respond to her message. I CAN'T back her up here, you know? Thank you in advance!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-22-2005, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

eddie,
Sounds like she is in denial. I have found that active addicts cant be reasoned with. Their logic is totally screwed up. They wont agree to anything that interferes with their addiction. No matter what. No matter how much sense it makes. No matter how little sense their reasons make.
You need to figure out how much help you are willing to give her if she is still using and in denial that she has a problem.
Tough spot but you need to set a boundary and stick to it.
Hope I helped
Thanks
Jeff

I would respond in honesty and love and as much kindness as I could. Suggest that she discusses this with her sponsor or counselor. Find someone that she may listen to. Sounds like there might not be anyone that she will listen to though.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by jcw1964
Tough spot but you need to set a boundary and stick to it...
I would respond in honesty and love and as much kindness as I could. Suggest that she discusses this with her sponsor or counselor. Find someone that she may listen to. Sounds like there might not be anyone that she will listen to though.
I'm afraid you're right, Jeff, and thanks for your response. I doubt she has a sponsor at this point, but it may be worth mentioning. Good idea. The boundary part shouldn't be too hard as she lives in another state. LOL. Thanks again!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-26-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Guy? What do you think?
—EZ