Notices

May 20th Coming out of isolation

Old 05-20-2005, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

May 20th Coming out of isolation

"We find ourselves doing and enjoying things that we never thought we would be doing."

Basic Text, p. 98

Active addiction kept us isolated for many reasons. In the beginning, we avoided family and friends so they wouldn't find out we were using. Some of us avoided all nonaddicts, fearing moral backlash and legal repercussions. We belittled people who had "normal" lives with families and hobbies; we called them "uncool," believing we could never enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Eventually, we even avoided other addicts because we didn't want to share our drugs. Our lives narrowed, and our concerns were confined to the daily maintenance of our disease.

Today, our lives are much fuller. We enjoy activities with other recovering addicts. We have time for our families. And we've discovered many other pursuits that give us pleasure. What a change from the past! We can live life just as fully as the "normal" people we once scorned. Enjoyment has returned to our lives, a gift of recovery.

Just for today: I can find pleasure in the simple routines of daily living.

pg. 146

Just For Today Daily Meditation is the property of Narcotics Anonymous©
Old 05-20-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Good Post Gooch, I always thought just like that passage i never thought that i could do things like normal people. When i got clean i found out that i could have fun.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BikerBill8
When i got clean i found out that i could have fun.
Yup
Old 05-22-2005, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gooch~
I just wanted to agree. I'm a suberban house wife now. WOW! It is kinda odd though, when the other Moms go out of their way to invite you to tea, or when you find yourself going over gardening tips with neighbors, or when we all band together to find a lost cat... I LOVE BEING UNCOOL!!!!!

I dont post here normally, just read alot. I really didnt like reading about how addiction can come in so many forms. I just always believed that it didnt matter what I had issues with, as long as I didnt use.

Gotta keep walking forward!