Notices

Find a group local?

Old 05-10-2005, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Find a group local?

Where do I look to find a group or meetings I can either attend/join to help me in quitting taking pills? I'm on the physical path to quiting, but think I need to talk/speak to others that are doing the same thing.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey,

here is a meeting locator -

http://portaltools.na.org/portaltools/MeetingLoc
Old 05-10-2005, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Let go and let God

http://www.na.org/

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/

Not sure of your specific location but you should be able to find meetings through one of these links. Often if there is no NA meeting in your area, the AA meeting will welcome you. We also have some here online. Tonight at 8:30 central time in the chat room. Check it out. read some posts and ask some questions. The most important thing is that you are looking for help. Great job. Be pround and be determined to quit. Everyone here is great. NO one will judge you. We are all in the same kind of situation.
DOnt hesitate you ask questions.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi, I Came from NJ to AZ where in Nj are you from? Maybe i can help? You can call the NA Hotline just look it up in the phone book or call 411 and they will give you the number. Hope to here from and let us know if you found one.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm from PA, just across the bridge. I go to some meetings in NJ, where are you?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by namommy
I'm from PA, just across the bridge. I go to some meetings in NJ, where are you?
To answer both the previous ones....

I am located in NJ in the Pemberton Township area. I have checked out several of the websites posted and there are meetings available locally, which is nice. I do have concerns though. Most of them are held at churches. Are these meetings all geared towards religion or trying to "make you see the light"? What I don't like is being forced to believe certain religions and ways of thinking. I'm not sure this is the right attitude, but I'm comfortable with where I sit with my religion and don't want to be subject to what ever they do. Very curious.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opentoe
What I don't like is being forced to believe certain religions and ways of thinking. I'm not sure this is the right attitude, but I'm comfortable with where I sit with my religion and don't want to be subject to what ever they do.
Me neiter.. In fact when I got to NA and heard the word God I grabbed the edge of my seat and hung on as I didn't have much use for organized religion at the time.

Not to worry. NA is a "spiritual" not "religious" program.

While individual members may have strong beliefs about what works for them, the fellowship as a whole is very respectful of the individuals right to pursue a relationship with a God of his or her own understanding. You will hear the term higher power used as many of us had/have a big issue with God.

As it turns out I didn't have as much of an isuue with God as I did some of his overzealous followers.

Please check out some meetings. The important thing is that addicts have an ability to relate to each other in a manner that most professionals do not.

We've been through the same ringers even if they were on different washing machines.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

no worries bout the religious thing. we do churches 'cause that's usually where we find cheapest rents.

my home group happens to meet in a civic hall. we are happy practitioners of our various faiths: buddhists, native americans, hindu/babba **, new age, judiasm, christian, atheist. Not every group will have that same cross section of faiths/not faiths. Likely as not, you won't even know what their individual faiths are until you know them individually and for a long time.Why? Because its NOT IMPORTANT to what NA is about!

your spirituality is very much your business. NA is only concerned about your addiction and what we can do to help .
Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that. I just missed the nooner meeting that happened today, and really wanted to go to get that inspiration I needed to at least be comfortable with myself tonight. Yea, it's an hour by hour thing for me right now and I can't wait until it goes day to day, then week to week, then month to month. The first day of not popping any norco's or percs is a strange feeling since I've been doing it so long. I did take some ibuprofen before which actually helped since the actions of taking a pill and swallowing it is all mental. So, here's my brain thinking I just popped some norco's....but there's no getting loaded on advil. Thanks for the info and I really can't wait to get to one of these meetings. I think I need the human contact/interaction.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Body,Mind & Soul in that order

I take vitamins for my"mental pill popping brain psyche" it works well for me too! good to see that you are taking the steps to get better.
I live in detroit or "flame on we'd be bbq-ing tonite"
hangin there, I'm struggling bad today too. If you need to talk i'm here all day, i'm feeling pretty weak today.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey,
The meetings in Burlington County are awesome. As a matter of fact, that is next on my list for getting outside of my area to look for a new sponsor.

PM me if you are interested in meeting at a meeting. lol

Don't worry about the God thing, as it has already been said, it is a spiritual, not religious program. You are free to persue your own beliefs. (cool thing is, we're not a cult either, we just sound like one sometimes. lol)