Notices

Oxycontin...Help Me

Old 05-06-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Oxycontin...Help Me

Hello everyone,

I am a 21 year old guy who has been addicted to oxycontin for almost 3 years now. I have tried to kick this drug numerous times but always come down so hard that i've quit by the 4th day. Over the past few months i have been working up more and more of a habit. Until I could take it no more. I have been crushing and takeing nasaly: 1 40 mg oxy every morning, 1 every afternoon, and 1 every evening roughly 6-8 hrs apart. I've hit rock bottom, the 30$ a day habit has killed my savings and all my friends (of which all are addicts alongside me, we all started taking them together in highschool) want nothing to do with me now that I want out. Today is day #6 of no oxycontin, it seems like day 4 and 5 were much easier...I feel much worse today. Extreme muscle pain and cold sweats/drymouth plague my every move. It seems as if my brain is a skipping record just replaying the image and sound and feeling of an oxy. I'm so lonely and i feel so alone in my struggle. I don't know what to do and I don't understand why i'm still in pain after almost a week.

I searched out this forum hoping that someone out there will be able to help me understand why and when and how. I am very discouraged and contemplating just sinking backwards.

I have no health insurance so doctors visits are out of the question due to my suffering finances.

Please help me Anyone...
Old 05-06-2005, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face

Originally Posted by Desperate111
Hello everyone,

I am a 21 year old guy who has been addicted to oxycontin for almost 3 years now. I have tried to kick this drug numerous times but always come down so hard that i've quit by the 4th day. Over the past few months i have been working up more and more of a habit. Until I could take it no more. I have been crushing and takeing nasaly: 1 40 mg oxy every morning, 1 every afternoon, and 1 every evening roughly 6-8 hrs apart. I've hit rock bottom, the 30$ a day habit has killed my savings and all my friends (of which all are addicts alongside me, we all started taking them together in highschool) want nothing to do with me now that I want out. Today is day #6 of no oxycontin, it seems like day 4 and 5 were much easier...I feel much worse today. Extreme muscle pain and cold sweats/drymouth plague my every move. It seems as if my brain is a skipping record just replaying the image and sound and feeling of an oxy. I'm so lonely and i feel so alone in my struggle. I don't know what to do and I don't understand why i'm still in pain after almost a week.

I searched out this forum hoping that someone out there will be able to help me understand why and when and how. I am very discouraged and contemplating just sinking backwards.

I have no health insurance so doctors visits are out of the question due to my suffering finances.

Please help me Anyone...
I suggest that if you continue to have withdrawals you go to an ER...I was addicted to Diladudid and it took almost a MONTH before I was OK....well, out of my system.....I had NO health insurance either. Drink a lot of water, sleep when you can.....eat, when you can....keep posting here....you can do this....you are almost there, my adddict friend...it is work and you haev gotten past the hardest part....QUITTING......you can PM me if you like....Kahlia
Old 05-06-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

What up,

I'm 23 and I just kicked opiates not too long ago myself. It can be done. Withdrawals suck ass but the only was to get past them (at least my experience) is to not take any more drugs and to just deal with it. I went from a high dose of methadone to nothing and was in the same financial position you are in...I couldn't afford to go to detox and the free detoxes wouldn't take me on such a high dose. Well I buckled down and quit at a family member's house and made them prevent me from leaving the house for a week. My withdrawls went on and on and I didn't start to feel "normal" again for a month or so. The most important thing I did, and the reason I'm still clean today, was that I enrolled in a state run outpatient program (they are free) and I started going to NA meetings as soon as I could drag myself out the house. I'm not anyone special and if I can do it so can you...and the awsome thing is that you never have to do it alone. People in NA have been exactally where you are right now and you will find an empathy in them that is unparalled.

You can do it, just don't pick up and it gets better, I promise.

Good luck,
-Blake
Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
an addict named Mike

Welcome home!! You don't ever have to feel the way you feel right now again!! I had an daily OC/heroin dependence (along with every other drug) and definately detoxed several times. You will start to get better anytime, trust me. I'm not a doctor, but everything I've ever heard and read from thousands of people, I havn't heard of anyone dying from OPIATE withdrawl (it'll just make you wish you were dead for a short time!!!!). What helped me was warm baths and motrin for muscle problems, peptobismal for the stomach, lots of water, and go to a health food store ASAP and get some VALERIAN ROOT, it WILL help you sleep (naturally). With the help of the wonderful people in Narcotics anonymous, I havn't had to use drugs, including the drug alcohol, since 8/17/02. There are tons more on NA who have been in your shoes before who have found a much better way of living. N.A.---N.ever A.lone, N.ever A.gain!! If you havn't already checked into it, check out www.na.org and it will have links to meetings in your area. Love & Respect, Mike
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
an addict named Mike

The sleeping thing seems to take the longest for most people (3-4 weeks), so definately get some valarian root to help.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Here is a direct link to a list of all NA meetings within 10 miles of you.
Keep us posted.

-Blake
Old 05-06-2005, 01:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

I kicked Oxycontin 14 months ago, its not fun, day 5-10 are not fun, if you are on your couch, not cool either, if you dont get a doctors help, just make sure you stay dryhated. I drank alot odf 7UP and imodium help with the crapper(LOL), Hang in there and realize, you don't ever have to feel the way you do now. Check out that Narcotics Anonymous link, NA has saved many of our butts around here ansd continues to now.
Hope you feel better soon, it will pass!!
Todd J.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hope That You Will Just For Today Pray. I Know That Sounds Like A Bunch Of Crap But Today You Don't Have To Pick Up A Sack. Hang In There Just For The Moment You Have And Try Not To Be So Sad
Old 05-06-2005, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stepping Through Recovery!

I too used approxiamately 480mg of oxycontin a day. I had muscle cramps for 6 months, but my head started to clear after the 4th day. Just don't use. And take it one minute at a time. If I can do it with God's help, so can you.

Like Kahlia said. Sleep when you can, and eat when you can.

My prayers are with you.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I kicked an opiate habit cold turkey too.

Drink lots of water, tylenol for the aches and pains, Tylenol PM at night to help you sleep. Lots of hot baths and showers. just hang in there the best you can. It does pass,and it does get better.

Welcome to SR.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Update

Today is day 17 of being clean...thank god most of my withdrawal symptoms are gone. Somehow, I still don't feel normal. My legs are the only thing that still hurts constantly, they feel as if they are tied in knots. Mentally I don't feel clean, true I crave the drugs much less already but my head just doesn't feel "normal". I find myself always thinking depressive thoughts and I have a hard time showing any emotion.

Please comment and let me know any miracle cures...or if I'll ever feel "normal" again

Thanks for all the support

PS: how do i get involved in an online meeting, is there even such a thing?...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

What up man?

Congrats on the 17 days. I didn't really feel done with withdrawals for about a month. There is a miricle cure that has been working for me, it's called narcotics anonymous. It's a miracle that I'm not loaded today b/c I have tried to get clean every way I could think of and NA is the only thing that could keep me clean and feeling okay with being clean.

What has worked for me so far is to follow suggestions of people that have more experience with staying clean than I do. It was suggested to me to make 90 meetings in 90 days, come early and stay late, find a sponsor and use that sponsor, change my people, places and things, read the NA literature, Start doing step work with my sponsor....sounds like a lot of ****, but I just started on one thing at a time like making 90 meetings in 90 days and everything else fell into place when it needed to.

NA has saved my life and it has given me things I'd have never expected.

You have a good start and most of the bad w/d symtoms are over now (I still sometimes get cramps in my feet at night, but they are manageable.) please give yourself a break and give NA a try.

Peace,
-Blake
Old 05-17-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Today is day 17 of being clean...

DUDE! That is friggin awesome!
It takes awhile for the fog to clear. Your body/mind are getting used to being substance free. I promise...IT GETS BETTER!
I have to second what Blake says. I tried everything to get off Norcos 30pills/day and Alchohol. NOTHING WORKED...except that inspired little program they call the 12 steps of AA/NA.

Hugs
Tanya

Long as freedom grows
I want to seek it
If it's yes or no
It's me who'll speak it

Billie Holiday

Old 05-17-2005, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hot baths,,i mean steamin hot,just as hot as you can stand it,,when the water starts to cool,let a little out,,replace it with hot,,your nose will still be running,,mighnt even throw up some,,so keep a basket handy,,the hot water works wonders,,

huggs bruce