Notices

Willingness.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Willingness.

I talked to a friend last night (a homegroup member as well) who's recovery I admire. I told him on Sunday that I wanted to talk to him, then never called, well last night, he left me a message that "It's Thursday, weeks almost over, are you going to call me?" So, I did. and I am glad he did that for me.

Anyway, I talked to him about how I've been stretching myself so thin, yet not getting anything back for myself, Not taking care of me and my recovery needs. He gave me a few suggestions that I am going to follow through on. I would appreciate any help from here as well.

The first is to make a priority list, that's where I can get help from you guys. I am going to start posting on this thread my priority list, and as things come up that need to be added (or deleted), I will put it on. Any feedback as to where it should go would be greatly appreciated.

The second is to Go to meetings outside of my area to look for a new sponsor (I never actually changed the last time, long story). Anyway, I have been keeping myself in my "comfort zone" for a long time. I've gotten lazy as well. I have 2 or 3 meetings a night within a 5 to 10 min. drive from my house, so I rarely go outside of the area. I am going to start that tonite.

Actually, I am picking up Mike (Time2Surrender) and we are going to the 8PM meeting in Princeton.

That's a start for me (and a big step for me).
Old 04-29-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

A New Level, That What I'm Talking About!! Hope the meeting goes well.
Check out the July 9th event going on up here. Shakur is Speaking and some members from down around him.
Hope the Sponsor thing goes well too.
Todd J.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mmmm- methinks there is a message in here for mackat as well. thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Anyway, I have been keeping myself in my "comfort zone" for a long time.
Ummmm, message for me in this to.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((((Namommy))))

Here's what comes to mind for me from reading (*relating*) to your post - Keep It Simple!

My sponsor is wonderful / terrible about drilling this into my head over and over. One time she even had me write it on my hand in with a black pen for a month! lol This alcoholic-addict has been complicating her life for many, many years and changng patterns, habits... shifting perspectives, takes some time, too. But it's working and I am keeping it simple now (... er, mostly).

Or maybe it's - ( willful child that I am! )

Give a big hug to Michael for me and all of his SR family.

hugs,

phinny
Old 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by godsonmyside
Check out the July 9th event going on up here. Shakur is Speaking and some members from down around him.
Todd J.
Where's "Up here"? I love road trips.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Between Rochester and Syracuse NY!!! Here's the info, if you want a flyer, pm your email, I'll send you one.

F.L.A.S.C.N.A Public Information Presents
Spiritual Awareness
Where: St. Marks Episcopal
400 S Main St. (Rt.88) Newark, NY 14513
When: Saturday July 9th, 2005
Time: 11:AM Till 12: Midnight
Come Join in the Celebration of Recovery and Spiritual Awareness!
Donation: $5.00

FOOD AND REFRESHMENTS WILL BE AVAILABLE ALL DAY!
There will be a Dance 8:00PM Till 12:00 Midnight
Speakers and Workshops – 21 speakers from
New Jersey, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Syracuse, Elmira, Utica, Rochester and The Finger Lakes will share the message of Narcotics Anonymous Speaker Tapes will also be available!!!

Directions:
From Rochester: Take 31 East (Monroe Ave.) to Town of Newark,
Make right onto Rt.88, Go past the light, the church is on your left.
From Buffalo: Take NYS thruway East to Exit 42 – Geneva/Lyons, make left and go straight until you get to Lyons, make left on Rt. 31, stay on Rt 31 until you get to Rt 88 in Newark, make left on Rt 88, go past light, church will be on your left.
From Syracuse, Binghamton: Take NYS thruway West to Exit 42 – Geneva/Lyons, make left and go straight until you get to Lyons, make left on Rt. 31, stay on Rt 31 until you get to Rt 88 in Newark, make left on Rt 88, go past light, church will be on your left.

Information contacts:
Todd J. 585-394-5257/585-905-5652
Ron K. 315-926-1155,
Dennis F. 315-745-9338
Old 04-29-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I started my quest. I went to a meeting outside of my area tonite. Unfortunately, among the women there were only 3 other woman who had 90+ days. I had the most clean time (of the women) in the room. So, I obviously could not find a sponsor there. However, I did get with some of the women and asked them what meetings over there would be good for finding women with experience with the steps. They told me about 2 women's meetings over there that I will try to check out.

as far as my priority list, I'll get started on that tomorrow. I'm tired tonite.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OK, priority list (not in any order yet) I could use your help sorting this out.

Recovery,

MY recovery: Step work, sponsorship (or lack of), meetings (for me), prayer, meditation, service committment (GSR and General Chair of my Homegroup), Reading JFT every morning, calling another addict to talk about what I am going through (that's a tough one for me), 5 sponsees that actually use me (a few more who don't), Helping another addict that is my friend who is sick (diabetes and legally blind), Internet stuff (SR, and other recovery sites). I think that is it, not sure.

Life: 4 Kids, husband, home (large), full time job, boy scouts, cub scouts, 1 daughter's drug and alcohol assessments and random urine tests (administered by me, not court committed) waiting for her court date, Dog, cat, and blind turtle, Fishing team (tournament coming up), worrying about my uncle (who helped raise me) who's alzheimers is advancing and we are trying to get him in a nursing home before he hurts himself. Trying to schedule doctors appointments for me (I am starting to feel crappy again and probably need another iron infusion). Studying to finish my certification for work, need to re-certify for CPR (I let it expire). I think that's it for now.

Any thoughts on how to sort this crap and prioritize it will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I take the two lists, and shuffle them like a deck of cards because they are all scattered through out my day. lol
Old 04-30-2005, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

(((Laurie)))
You've alot on your plate. I can certainly identify with that!
May I make a suggestion?
Seperate work from life.
I work to live; I don't live to work.
Just my 2 cents here....But, for ME, it's an important distinction!
and one more thing, here. Where's the FUN??? Make time for fun, Laurie. It feeds the soul.
Shalom, my friend!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok, Fun.?

Fishing, camping, canoeing. Wow, that's lame.

Oh, hot lavender bubble baths and hershey bars.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Not lame to me!
Sounds like lots of fun, as I like the same things....but, I'll take a snickers, LOL!
Have a great day!
Shalom!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok, I have the 24+ hours to myself. My entire family is gone for the weekend. What do I do? I start the laundry, clean the kitchen, (I did go to a meeting) then I agreed to pick up my friends mother and take her into the city to see him in the hospital and added a few others to the list.

Well, today's JFT meditation is about God doing for us what we can't do for ourselves, before I had a chance to make all of the arrangements to go down, they discharged him from the hospital. I don't need to go down now, I will see him tonite.

I've changed my attitude about today though. I've decided that I am just going to be lazy and chill for the rest of the afternoon. I may take a nap, or throw in a movie, I don't know, whatever suits my fancy.

How's that for growth!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

Sounds GREAT to me!!!
I think I'll take your suggestion myself! It's an overcast, drizzly day. I just put some logs on the fire. A blankie and a good book or a movie....yea...I like it!
Always a good time to be good to ourselves...
Have a great afternoon, Laurie!
Shalom!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Originally Posted by namommy
Ok, I have the 24+ hours to myself. My entire family is gone for the weekend. What do I do? I start the laundry, clean the kitchen, (I did go to a meeting) then I agreed to pick up my friends mother and take her into the city to see him in the hospital and added a few others to the list.

Well, today's JFT meditation is about God doing for us what we can't do for ourselves, before I had a chance to make all of the arrangements to go down, they discharged him from the hospital. I don't need to go down now, I will see him tonite.

I've changed my attitude about today though. I've decided that I am just going to be lazy and chill for the rest of the afternoon. I may take a nap, or throw in a movie, I don't know, whatever suits my fancy.

How's that for growth!!!
I think YOU taking care of YOU is the best idea while your family is gone for 24 hours...that is NOT that long.....make the best of it....kahlia
Old 05-01-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went to another meeting outside of my area last night. For the first 1/2 hour it was me and the chair-person. He went on with the meeting following the format to the letter as if the room were packed (I thought that was cool). Then a young guy wandered in, then about 15 min later someone else came in. That was it. It was a GREAT meeting. We all went around and shared about the topic (trad. 3), then there was plenty of time left so the chair person suggested we read the JFT meditation and share on that, so we did. All 4 of us got to share on that as well. It was really nice, calm, quiet, relaxing, intimate. Pretty cool.

Now, today I have to get ready for my home groups anniversary meeting. 5:00 pm, Food, Fun, and Fellowship.

(I'm supposed to be typing out the format right now, but I am procrastinating, I don't know why)
Old 05-03-2005, 06:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

OK, this isn't working.

I had in mind a man to ask to sponsor me. We already talk all the time, and I really like his program. He calls me on my ****, and doesn't let me get complacent. However, I just found out that he recently asked my husband to sponsor HIM. If he were to sponsor me, then my husband would be my grand-sponsor and that is just a little TOO incestual for me.

What to do, what to f*****g do!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

PRAY
Old 05-04-2005, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

and my 'problems' today are SOOOOO high class compared to where i was.....

re women/sponsorship thing

much as i hate to see 'em go elsewhere, i have been pushing this area to get some all women meets...
around here we only have couple with long term clean time. they can get stretched thin as sponsors...
just like you, they have rec'd REAL lives as a result of program, so time becomes an issue...

[love may not have any boudaries, but there IS still 24 hours in a day]