Notices

A day at a time

Old 04-20-2005, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Keep coming back - Yeah Right!

A day at a time

i have found this forum really helpful since i found it and would like to aks a question of you all[ no matter what your views]. seing as ive been clean before and for some time, i would like to know how i can do this "one day at a time" this is a life long illness and a life long fight, i know i should do it like this but the reallity is "its life long" no matter what i tell myself i know inside the truth. the first time aroud it was easyier but now i know its forever its almost impossible to do it "one day at a time". i would really like to but cant get past or deny that its forever . . . how caqn i get back to basics and the fact that for me to get well it has to be "one day at a time ?.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi Tricky, That is agood question For me I know that it is for life. I was told that you don't have to think that it's forever. I just live day to day and i realy don't think about that i to stay clean fovever. One day at a time that's all try to live in the here and now.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Sure, But how many days can you live at a time. If you have a foot in yesterday and a foot in tomorrow, you're pissing all over today and losing out on what is really happening. Nothing is gaurantee'd, but if I don't use today, I will have another day that I didn't use and that opens the door for another day. If I am so worried about the forever aspect then I am losing focus on reality. If I am so upset that I can never use again, Why am I not so upset that my life is turned upside down and I don't even think to ask how to change the way that I am living?
Todd J.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, this is a life long illness, but each morning when we wake, and often during different times of the day we have a CHOICE. We choose to stay clean, or to use. Each day, 'Just for today', I will not use. 'maybe tomorrow?' then when tomorrow comes, again 'just for today, I will not use'

For me, it's not forever. I have a reservation set aside. On my 101st birthday, I am getting high. See, it doesn't have to be forever.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good stuff on these postings-
we talk in the rooms about a daily reprieve- don't know about you, but i'm the kind of addict that used to get waaay out into the future [anybody else out there pick out your funeral music, imagine who'd be there etc?]

anyway, getting myself centered into this moment is at the core of any chance i have at serenity- because when i ponder it, this moment is THE reality - all the rest is just my mind bein' busy...

mackat
Old 04-20-2005, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mackat
[anybody else out there pick out your funeral music, imagine who'd be there etc?]

mackat
Hey, Get out of my head!! :slaphead
Old 04-20-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Free Bird, and I saw the coolest KISS casket!!LOL
Old 04-20-2005, 08:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
whataday

Well you can start, just a suggestion, by realizing your life has just begun, this is not the end of your life, it`s the beginning. Out with the old life, and inn with the new, you have a glorious journey ahead of you filled with fellowship, love, compassion, and empathy for others as others will have for you, the most wonderfull thing of all is your freedom from self. Just hang in there no matter what, don`t give up 5 minutes before the miracle.

chris

P.S. god bless for you shall know a new peace and a new happiness that you might have thought was only a dream
Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just For Today

I know this one is what I have the most difficulty with in my recovery... living just for today. I'm decent at calling myself out on my own insane thinking, but I can overwhelm myself in minutes by not living in the here and now... the Just For Today.

Mundane little things like getting the yard ready for summer, opening the pool, painting the basement floor, et cetera... that can have me feeling panic stricken if I look at things like that with my addict mentality. Making mountains out of molehills, as they say. My disease wants me to use. It wants to kill me. I don't pick up, so it invades other areas of my life like prioritization... living in that here and now.

Like someone once told me... "If you have one foot in yesturday and the other in tommorrow all you can do is **** on today." We, as addicts, have to learn to live life on life's terms. Learn to live in the here and now. Learn to live and stay sober Just for Today.

Tell yourself - JUST FOR TODAY My thoughts will be on my recovery living and enjoying life without the use of drugs.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have faith in someone in N.A. who believes in me and wants to help me in my recovery.

JUST FOR TODAY I have a program. I will try to follow it to the best of my ability.

JUST FOR TODAY Through N.A. I will try to get a better perspective on my life.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be unafraid, my thoughts will be on my new associations people who are not using and who have found a new way of life, So long as I follow that way, I have nothing to fear. JUST FOR TODAY!