Notices

JFT April 17 - Priority: Meetings

Old 04-17-2005, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

JFT April 17 - Priority: Meetings

"I initially felt that it would be impossible to attend more than one or two meetings a week. It just wouldn't fit in with my busy schedule. I later learned that my priorities were 180° degrees reversed. It was the everything else that would have to fit into my meeting schedule."
Basic Text p. 204

Some of us attended meetings infrequently when we first came to Narcotics Anonymous, then wondered why we couldn't stay clean. What we soon learned was that if we wanted to stay clean, we had to make meeting attendance our priority.

So we began again. Following our sponsor's suggestion, we made a commitment to attend ninety meetings in ninety days. We identified ourselves as newcomers for our first thirty days so that others could get to know us. At our sponsor's direction, we stopped talking long enough to learn to listen. We soon began to look forward to meetings. And we began to stay clean.

Today, we attend meetings for a variety of reasons. Sometimes we go to meetings to share our experience, strength, and hope with newer members. Sometimes we go to see our friends. And sometimes we go just because we need a hug. Occasionally we leave a meeting and realize that we haven't really heard a word that's been said - but we still feel better. The atmosphere of love and joy that fills our meetings has kept us clean another day. No matter how hectic our schedule, we make meeting attendance our priority.

Just for today: In my heart, I know that meetings benefit me in all kinds of ways. Today, I want what's good for me. I will attend a meeting.
pg. 111

Just For Today Daily Meditation is the property of Narcotics Anonymous©
Old 04-17-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Great post Margo, I have seen new commers go just to a couple of meetings and then go back uot and then come back and raiseing there hands and saying that they picked up and are starting over.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clean & Serene Punk Rock Mommy

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the reminder. I try to make at least three meetings a week minimum. Often that isn't enough. It is easy to make an excuse why I can't make a meeting, just like I made excuses for why I had to use.
I totally relate with sometimes not hearing anything, but I feel better when I leave than I did when I got there. I almost didn't go to a meeting last night, but I went after all. It was one of the best meetings I have ever been to. Every person's share seemed like it directly related to my life. I would have really missed out had I not gone.
I appreciate your message.Thank you again.

It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.
- W. Durning
Old 04-17-2005, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was new to NA I would come up with all kinds of excuses to skip a meeting.Too tired,too busy,etc.or just wind up on the couch watching a Seinfield re-run instead.I always found time to score when I was using.Today,getting to meetings is my priority.Just like when I recently found I was going to New Jersey for a few months I was looking for meetings to hit.