in love with an alcoholic

Old 04-04-2005, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

in love with an alcoholic

i'm madly in love with an alcoholic. i never thought i would be the type to ask this sort of question, but does he not love me if he won't stop? i feel like he doesn't even remember me. we're long-distance, and i'm moving to be with him next month. he says that me being there is the only thing that will help. and i know it will help, but that notion seems so unhealthy. he's starting to treat me terribly now that he has promised to stop, and i don't want him to push me around because i've seen all the men in my family do that. but i also don't ever want to give up on him, because i've seen all the women in my family do that. i am either finding myself being terribly mean or overly understanding. any advise?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If there was ever a time to take step back and think about what you are going to do....it is now.

An alcoholic will not change until they are ready to change. Love, family, respect, pride...all interesting reasons to change....but until THEY want to....they are just interesting ideas, not reasons. Don't take it personally, that is just the way it is.

-pedagogue