Notices

Flashbacks are back

Old 04-03-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flashbacks are back

I have had flashbacks on and off since I finally told someone that I was sexually abused 20years after It happened. Lately they are mor often adn body memories are comming now. I've never had them befor so I really thought I was extreemly afraid that I was going crazy. I have a great councelor now who understands and believes me and assures me that I'm not going crazy. After being 12 years sober from drugs and alcohol, I never thought I'd feel like this ever. But I'm not giving up and let them win. They have taken almost half of my life and I refuse to give them any more of my life. Im sober and I pray to God I stay that way because I know that He will get me through this.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

The first thing that we all think is that we are going crazy. That is the farthest from the truth. It sure feels that way though.

I was just sure I was losing my mind. I had a lady tell me that if I lost my mind God would find it again for me. That was just not very comforting! I found out that I wasn't losing my mind and all the things I was experiencing were from anxiety. I can have anxiety and panic now and know I'm not crazy and know I just have to make it though 24 hours until relief comes. It's very seldom though.

I'm glad you have a good therapist. That's so important. Get through a day at a time and you'll gradually start to feel better.

We're here when you need to vent or talk.

Hugs,
MG

Old 04-03-2005, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey there trying :-)

I had really bad flashbacks when I first started dealing with the incest and physical abuse. I understand how scary they can be. Mine didn't last long, they came on strong at first and quickly tapered off. What helped me the most was getting involved in a group of survivors of abuse, people who had experienced much the same thing I had. I don't know what's in your area but they're usually under Adult Children of Alcoholics or Incest Survivors Anonymous. Oh yeah, hang on to that therapist, good ones are a blessing.

Keep posting here and let us know how you're doing. We've all been there and we really do care.

Mike :-)
Old 04-08-2005, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Trying, Welcome to SR. I can identify with you. I once had 5 years sober but, never dealt with the sexual abuse stuff. I can tell you that it has been hiding inside waiting to come out. Although painful once out the new levels of sobriety will surprise you.
Once the flashbacks started I always had this little voice that would answer any praise I or anyone else gave me. Have you found yourself continuing someones statments inside with, " Sure you say you like me but, if you knew this or that?"
Once out you'll be able to find help to deal with it. This is a great place to dump this S***. We've all done it. Don W