Todays thought! - Directness

Old 03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Todays thought! - Directness

Today's thought is:

Directness

So much of our communication can reflect our need to control. We say what we think others want to hear. We try to keep others from getting angry, feeling afraid, going away, or disliking us. But our need to control traps us into feeling like victims and martyrs.

Freedom is just a few words away. Those words are our truths. We can say what we need to say. We can gently, but assertively, speak our mind.

Let go of your need to control. We do not need to be judgmental, tactless, blaming, or cruel when we speak our truths. Neither do we need to hide our light. Let go, and freely be who you are.

Today, I will be honest with others, and myself knowing that if I don't, my truth will come out some other way.

You are reading from the book:

The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie
Old 03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today, I will be honest with others, and myself knowing that if I don't, my truth will come out some other way.
I am learning to communicate better with people with love and honesty. For so long I either was afraid to say what needed to be said, or I found when I did finally say it that it didn't get through, it wasn't heard. Too often in my life, I have been "shut out" emotionally by people I love. That hurts and sends me running back under my protective shell, whiich is a dark and unhealthy place for me to linger.

I'm learning it is easier to express my needs and accept the response or lack of it, than to feel my needs are not valid and hide. I need a lot more practice, but I'm working on it.

Hugs
Ann
Old 03-04-2005, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Time and Ann, you said just what I needed to hear today. Thanks.

Tracy