How awful was it?

Old 02-23-2005, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How awful was it?

Ok. Here's a game. I have taken it or adapted it from a book I read. It's not original. But, it's enlightening.

Identify a chore or event you need to attend to that your either really not looking forward to or you have been putting off. It could be something simple like doing the dishes or something bigger like a job interview. On a scale of 1 to 20 rate this chore or event on how horrible or distasteful you 'anticipate' it is going to be when you attend to it. 1 being the least horrible and 20 being the most umpleasant. Before you do it, post here a short description and your projected rating (1 to 20)of how horrible you anticipate this event is going to be.

Then go and do the event. Observe how you 'actually' feel during and afterwards. When you have finished rate again on a scale of one to twenty just how it 'actually' was. Then post our second rating of how it 'actually' was back here.

Last edited by Andy F; 02-23-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tomorrow I have to lay paper and mask up some floors to protect them, It's an uninteresting mindless job on my hands and knees for some hours. I rate it 15 for mindlessness. I'll post again after I've done it tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

oki doki...

I have to remove some electronic EQ from an R/C air plane (crashed)
and install it into another one. Go thur the proceedure of
setting it up or programing my transmitter, test run everything.
I love flying but hate this process
It's simple but to me it's like calling my sponsor. Might as will be #20.lol

A schedule club fun fly had been delay becuase of me..lmaf
Not really, it's been rain every weekend fir the past couple of weeks

I can't really rate the event just yet.
It depends if I crash or someone else crash.lol
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Great idea!!

Tommorrow, at 7:00am, I have to drive my husband to his doctors office, as he is getting steriod injections in his back and won't be able to drive home. The appt's always takes about 1-1 1/2 hour and are so BORRRING. I have to stay there in the waiting room, just "in case", so I can't even leave to take a walk, or go get coffee or nuttin!!

So on a boredom scale of unpleasantness, I rate this activity an....18
Old 02-24-2005, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Where do i start on my list!!!!! I guess the first thing to do is make the dang list!!!!
I rate that 10.....
Old 02-24-2005, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Such open minded people to give this a try! Wonderful.

I got called away from work today to pick up my little nephew from school. He like me picking him up so he can hunt for change or gum in my van.

So my previous chore is now for tomorrow. But on the way home from work I knew it was a logical idea to take a short detour and pick up some light fittings for a job, but being in London, you have to ride around to find a parking space, pay the meter, mess around. I wanted to go straight home, but I rated the job as an inconvenient 16.

Anyway, I did it. Parking space straight away, someone had left time on the meter. Rated it afterwards a 9. Would have been a 7 but had to wait in shop for 5 minutes.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
anyone who ever had a dream

I have to write a business sponsorship proposal, so I rate that a 12 for difficulty and consummation of time. I also have to study for a music theory exam, and I rate that a 9 for difficulty.

Tomorrow I have to set up for the Russell Gunn concert, and I rate that a 14 for being physically draining. I also have to strike the set afterwards, so that's a package deal.

I'll let ya know how it goes!!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Okay, I'll play. Due to a sudden deluge of people (friends of my son) in my home yesterday (after I'd gone to bed), every glass, plate and piece of silverware in my house is dirty. Now, I hate housework anyway and I especially hate having to clean up after other people, most especially other adults. Since the adults are now gone and their mess remains, I either have to put up with the mess or clean it myself. BTW, I don't have dishwasher. So I'd rank this chore as a 20 on the tick-me-off scale.

I'll get it done (hopefully, if I'm not overly successful at procrastinating) and post an update.

Tracy
Old 02-24-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Okay, I rated todays chore as an 18.
In all actuallity, it really wasn't that bad, I'd rate it as a 7 maybe? I did end up running into someone that I know and we got to chat for a bit while I was waiting and that was very pleasant.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
anyone who ever had a dream

AAAH! I'm having the opposite result. I actually over-estimated my ability ... the business sponsorship proposal was actually more like a 16, it was very difficult and time-consuming as I had to get the wording just right in order to be as persuasive as possible.

The theory exam studying was more like a 5 or a 6, though.

And as for the concert, well, if I could find out where I'm supposed to be at (nobody was at the Hall where it's taking place, I have a feeling they're at some dock around campus that I don't know about) then I could find out just how hard it really is. Right now it's a zero!!

I have to watch myself for minimalizing things, though, because the situation with the proposal is NOT the first time this has happened. I tend to think, oh, that won't be so bad, and so I put it off and suffer through a night of mind-wrenching work that could have been delved out in smaller increments over the course of a week.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

dang!!!

Procrastination......I know off the top of my head what the main things on my list are, but I guess I'm avoiding making the dang list so I can avoid the actual action....ya I'm rambling, looking for excuses, maybe i should re rate.....
Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't do my rated job again. I did lot's of other things that would 'look' like more had been done for my clients benefit when tomorrow they inspect the house I am reburbishing for them.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andy F
Tomorrow I have to lay paper and mask up some floors to protect them, It's an uninteresting mindless job on my hands and knees for some hours. I rate it 15 for mindlessness. I'll post again after I've done it tomorrow.

I had to change the order of things so I have only just completed this.

I did it in two stages. Yesterday I did some and I rate it 12, though it took less time than I thought.

Today I dropped the perfectionist bit, the floor is just as protected, but not as pretty, it was much quicker and I rate it a 7 now.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My next job is I have to phone my client and have an uncomfortable conversation with her. Sometime this week. I rate it 18 for anxiety.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andy F
My next job is I have to phone my client and have an uncomfortable conversation with her. Sometime this week. I rate it 18 for anxiety.

Job done. Re-rated in reality. 6
Old 03-08-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Actually very nearly everything I seem to procrastinate doing winds up going exactly the opposite of how I think it should. If it seems easy or simple, then many times it actually turns into a headache, if I derad it because I think there will be major frsutration or difficulty involved, then I'm usually pleasantly surprised to find that it wnet better than expected.

That being said, I try not to go into most tasks with more than a general idea of what materials and tools I will need and leave my expectations behind.

I can now unashamedley admit that I procrastinate simply foir the sake of procrastinantion, and I am examining my inability and hesitation to begin tasks.

I may just be a slacker after all...