Changing Our Course

Old 02-16-2005, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Changing Our Course

You are reading from the book Each Day a New Beginning.

On occasion I realize it's easier to say the serenity prayer and take that leap of faith than it is to continue doing what I'm doing.
--S.H.

The pain of change is a reality. But so is the pain of no change--when change is called for. In spite of our desires, changing others will never be an option, whereas changing ourselves takes only a decision and is a choice always available.

We can take an inventory for a moment. What are we presently doing that makes us ashamed or angry or fearful? We can let go of that behavior and responsibly choose a new tack. If strength is needed, or confidence to try a new behavior, we can simply ask that it be ours. The Third Step promises that our lives are in God's care and our needs are always being attended to--not always our wants, but in every instance our needs.

Most of our struggles, today as in the past, are attached to persons and situations we are trying to forcibly control. How righteous our attitudes generally are! And so imposing is our behavior that we are met with resistance, painful resistance. Our recourse is now and always to "accept those things we cannot change, and willingly change that which we can." Our personal struggles will end when we are fully committed to the Serenity Prayer.

The wisdom "to know the difference" is mine today.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Changing my course, finding a new path, can be difficult for me. By the time I realize that I am on the wrong path I have been on it so long that it has become familiar and comfortable even with all it's misgivings.

It can be a relief to just let go and admit that the old path isn't working for me. Only then are my eyes and heart open to finding a new, better path.

Hugs
Ann
Old 02-16-2005, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We can't control the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

So true, Gabe. And sometimes I just need to put my life jacket on and jump ship.

Hugs
Ann