Today's thought! - Meditation

Old 02-12-2005, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's thought! - Meditation

Today's thought is:

Meditation is not a way to enlightenment, nor is it a method of achieving anything at all. It is peace and blessedness itself. It is the actualization of wisdom, the ultimate truth of the oneness of all things.
--Dogen
Translated by Stephen Mitchell

Meditation need not be limited to time spent sitting with our eyes closed. We can practice a type of meditation simply in the way we live our lives each day.

Often, we think about our lives in terms of what we hope to accomplish, but in truth, we don't always have to aim at goals or results. Whatever we are engaged in doing throughout our day, we can cherish the experience of simply being alive and sensing our connection with everything else that is alive. We can remember our unity with others and with Spirit. When we stop focusing on a destination we are striving to reach and instead focus on the present moment in all its fullness, we experience aliveness without struggle and enjoy a deep sense of calm. Paradoxically, when we stop concentrating on effort and relax into being present, giving whatever we are doing all our attention, we find ourselves accomplishing our goals with greater ease.

Today, I relax into being alive in each moment.

You are reading from the book:

Glad Day by Joan Larkin
Old 02-13-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

i don't know about anyone else but i so often fall asleep whil "Meditating", and how simple,you'd think to just stay in the moment, so much easier said than done!!!!!!
One foot in the past, one in the future, that leaves me peeing on the the moment, never mind the day!!!!
Here is the dictionary definition of the word:
to muse over,CONTEMPLATE,ponder
to engage in deep mental excersise directed toward a heightened level of spiritual awareness
intend, plan
"present moment in all it's fullness" takes me to sleep!