Rehab Center Question

Old 02-07-2005, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab Center Question

Does anyone have any experience with rehab centers? I am free of booze and the desire but I am early in my recovery. I would like to find some more tools to be sure I never go back.
I need one with high speed internet access and some off time so I can work. (I work via the internet and working while in rehab a few hours a day would allow me to keep my hard earned clients. It would also give me something to do in off hours and earning some money is not a bad thing either considering the cost of these centers.)
I do realize most time will be spent in meetings, various sessions etc. My experience in detox though was there was nothing whatsoever to do in between meetings. Working would be a good thing.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know several here on the east coast, but am not familiar with Cali...sorry.

BubbaBob
Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh well--thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

i live in Canada so not sure where u could find one but i just thought I'd share my experience....My first 28 day program they worked me so hard I really had no time for anything else....really, by the time I was finished i felt like I needed a vacation.
I don't mean to scare you away from a program. So I figured around 20-30 days after being on my own that I'd learned I am a drug addicted alcoholic [ok...so I admitted it}
and so I figured now I know what the drugs and alcohol are doing to me physically...yeah... well bring it on. And I carried on lost in active addiction , running from everyone and everything that loved me and me them. So another 6 months go by and I find myself in detox again telling everybody that I'll detox but I really don't see any point in going back to treatment, been there, done that right?
Wrong....after detoxing for a week or so I started looking into other centers, I figured maybe I would learn something more if I tried a different one. So I ended up in another 28 day program and from there a 3 month program. I just realized that I was willing to go to any length to learn, grow and stay clean and sober. I wanted a little self respect, I wanted to learn how to live without running to a drug. Honestly that5 months was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I wouldn't change it for anything.
I also realize that throwing myself whole-heartedly into those programs started a solid
foundation for recovery. I do believe that concentrating on other things while you are in a program would interfere with what you learn there. It's not forever and you are worth the time and effort. \\//peace
Old 02-08-2005, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Hi Boozer...

I have not read all of your posts, so forgive me if this is not helpful...

Rather than a residential treatment center, you may want to consider a structured sober living environment. In these, you are expected to work. You do meetings after work and on weekends, and sometimes they have groups or meetings in the house.

In the San Jose area I would recommend calling Support Systems Homes. I know they have 15-20 sober living houses as well as an accredited, licensed treatment facility.

Other No. Cal resources include The Camp in San Jose and Walden House in San Francisco.

If they cannot help you, be sure to get additional referrals and phone numbers from them.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might also want to consider intensive out patient. I have had experience with both in/out patient and inpatient, as others have said, will be very structured with very little time for anything else but sleeping and eating. Most outpatients are not only considerably cheaper but they meet at nights for a couple of hours usually 4-5 times a weeks for 4-5 weeks. In an environment like that you would have group and invidual help and also be able to hold a job and carry on relationships. That setting would allow for some structure and a place to talk about what you are going through. Good luck what ever you choose.

John
Old 02-09-2005, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The sober living homes type arrangement is an excellent suggestion.

BubbaBob
Old 02-09-2005, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Good luck in whatever type of rehab you choose Boozer!!