Todays thought! - Self love

Old 02-07-2005, 02:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Todays thought! - Self love

Today's thought is:

I make a continual practice of self-love, whether I am up or down, sick or well, tired or well-rested.

There may be nothing harder than sticking to a policy of self-love regardless of the flux of my feelings. For when things are not going the way I want them to, when my expectations are not being fulfilled, I immediately begin the old pattern of shoveling myself into the garbage as if I am a useless failure.

If I stop and take note when I take out the shovel, I will be able to realize that as a child I had few resources to keep alive the sense of myself as lovable. But now I am free to develop all the resources I need. I have friends to call who will remind me I am loved. I can look at my face in the mirror and affirm my love for myself. I can hug myself or a teddy bear and console the child within me. I can slow down and become aware of my Higher Power as a force that I can trust to lead me and provide for me all that I need, even when I am unable to see the provisions.

You are reading from the book:

Daybreak by Maureen Brady
Old 02-07-2005, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Serenity Plus Plan

Thanks Mike!

I needed to see that today.

Richard
Old 02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, Im having a low day today, full of grief etc. So reading those sorts of things is so good. I just have to ride the windy days but remember I am a special person and worthy of love.
Jennie
Old 02-07-2005, 10:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Majesty Jo

Love seems to be in the air. I read this in my meditation and it made me think!

Real Love
"In real love you want the other person's good. In romantic love, you want the other person."

- Margaret Anderson

The expression of real love is so easy between grandparents and children - and between good friends it passes effortlessly. But why is it so hard to share real love with a spouse or lover? Why, instead, do we want to possess them? And from them we dream of selfless devotion. Yet neither possession nor devotion guarantees the security we long for.

Real love is not selfish; it frees both the giver and the receiver. Knowing we're loved sustains our hearts and diminishes our difficulties. It doesn't bind us, yet paradoxically it bonds our hearts. These encouragements to grow, to change, to dare to depart if it's for our own good, are expressions of real love. Real love is never ownership, only stewardship of this moment's experiences.

Let's be gentle with one another, and love fully with trust, as a child loves a grandmother.

The book, "Worthy of Love

By Karen Casey © 1985