3rd Step

Old 02-05-2005, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chrys

Lightbulb 3rd Step

Step 3 is where I find myself. Over two years into my sobriety. I guess I've been pausing a bit

Interesting thing I noted. I got out the old 12 and 12. Yes it was dusty. And I reread Step 3. The serenity prayer at the conclusion was very familiar.

But the final line somehow I have never seen or heard before

"Thy will, not mine, be done." My initial reaction to that is fear. So that is where I begin. . . Used the prayer as a meditation as I fell to sleep. The final line was a deliberate effort. I just tried to let the meaning soak in. Then I woke up this AM and decided to check in.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Chrys

I love this. This is how I start my day, everyday. I remind myself of step 3, that I have handed my will and my life over to the care of the Higher Power of my understanding, which I choose to call God.

This keeps it so simple for me. I no longer run the show. What will be today will be. Does that mean I have to sit around doing nothing all day just waiting for old HP to make the tea.?? No way, it means that I just don't poke my nose in anymore, I let things be as they are meant to be. Today I let life happen to me, rather than try and force life to be exactly how I WANT it to be. My days are full, rewarding and sometimes challenging, I get on with what is put in front of me, but now my EGO doesn't get in the way.

It has brought about a great deal of peace.

much love
JC
Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Majesty Jo

Each day is a new beginning for me, and each morning I do what I call the One-Two-Three Waltz, which leads me on my journey for today. I can't, God can, just for today, I choose to let Him.

My favorite part of Step Three, is the part about listening for the quiet, which tells me that I need to be still, be quiet and be open to listening for the good orderly direction I need each day. So often I get caught up in asking and in the chatter going on in my head, that I forget that I am not the power, that I need to go to the source and be open to the divine orderly good, that is sent to me daily when I ask.

I call this the God/Dog Syndrome. I have a loving, caring, compassionate and loyal freind who travels this journey with me.