Today's Thought! - Friendship

Old 02-04-2005, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's Thought! - Friendship

Today's thought is:

Friendships divide our burdens and double our joys.

Having women and men we trust enough to share our deepest secrets with is one of the many gifts of the program. While it's true that most of us already had friends, we seldom told them everything about ourselves. We held back the most intimate details to protect ourselves. We thought if they really knew us, they'd never want to be our friends.

Our understanding of friendship has changed since being introduced to the Twelve Steps. How we act as friends has changed too. Now we know that friends don't judge, they don't try to control, they accept how other people are, and they never betray a confidence. They listen, they love, and they offer hope. And they don't run away when they don't like what they hear. What we have learned influences our old friendships too, and everybody benefits.

To express my friendship fully to someone today means sharing honestly what I'm experiencing and listening intently while my friend shares too.

You are reading from the book:

A Life of My Own by Karen Casey
Old 02-04-2005, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
Now we know that friends don't judge, they don't try to control, they accept how other people are, and they never betray a confidence. They listen, they love, and they offer hope. And they don't run away when they don't like what they hear. What we have learned influences our old friendships too, and everybody benefits.

I have found this to be so true in regards to my own situation. A few people I had considered "friends", really aren't. They are extremely judgemental and controling, and that isn't the type of relationship that I need in my own recovery.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
And they don't run away when they don't like what they hear.
In my experience, this has been the true test of who is my friend and who is not.
Great quote Time2Surrender, I have GOT to read that book.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Having women and men we trust enough to share our deepest secrets with is one of the many gifts of the program. While it's true that most of us already had friends, we seldom told them everything about ourselves. We held back the most intimate details to protect ourselves
I still struggle between sharing with others and protecting myself. Learning to take risk is required to be able to move ahead, regardless of how painful the lesson may be.

Thank you, Time2Surrender

Hugs
Ann