Notices

Please help find me a sponser

Old 02-03-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Please help find me a sponser

Hi everyone,
I'm into my 12th day clean now and feeling good, I'm having a hard time dealing with my husband who is still using cannabis. He keeps leaving his pipe around the house where i can see it, its doing my head in abit!
Still havent got a sponser theres only been men at the meetings that i have been to, and i only got 1 reply to my appeal for one here and she was lookin gfor a sponser as well.
Cant get to the meeting today as my son gets dropped off from Kohanga(pre-school) at the time the meeting starts, so I thought i would post a message on the board and spend a hour checking out the other posts this morning instead.
Thanks Guys
Nuts
Old 02-03-2005, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Have you looked for womans meetings in your area? that is a good start. Keep going to meetings, keep reaching out. Even if there are men at a meeting you are at, raise your hand and express that you are looking for a woman sponsor. Often a man in the room will know someone.

Don't give up. And YES definately stick around here, there is a great deal of support here.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Hey Nutz? If there are no women at the local NA meetings, check and see if there are at your local AA meetings. A really good friend of mine was addicted to narcotics, but couldn't find any women at the NA meetings, so she jumped over to the AA meeting, found a sponsor that night, and has been clean for 6 years.

I think I found a sponsor, but it's at my RL meetings, not online.
Until you find one, just keep posting here. Ask any questions, whatever, the people here are wonderful and can definatley help you out. ((HUGS))
Old 02-03-2005, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

That is a great idea Roxann!!! AA opens up more opportunities to meet woman sponsors also.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just For Today

We have the women's sponsor issue here too. There's a few groups that are almost 90% women here, so just keep hitting meetings... ask other women when you see them. You'll find someone.

As for the husband... maybe you should openly share your concerns with him. You need to keep yourself as your #1 priority.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The new NA book on Sponsorship, addresses this issue. There are some situations where woman just aren't available. There are people who have sponsors of the opposite sex if necessary. It is just suggested that you not put yourself in a position where a sexual relationship could happen. (I am married now, so hetero by coice, but early in recovery I was bi-sexual, and in that case I may have never found a sponsor, because the possibility was always there). Find a PERSON you are comfortable with, and get a sponsor. An opposite sex sponsor for now is better than not having one.

Remember, this disease does not discriminate, neither should we.

I' getting ready to duck now, since this isn't the most popular opinion in NA.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally had that same problem, i couldnt find any women in NA to sponsor me, there were rarely any women there and i started going to AA with a friend of mine, and i was worried that wouldnt quite work, but i can relate anything said there to the way i used, and its a very open and warm group and i now have a great sponsor, i hope you do the same, good luck

Dannielle
Old 02-04-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Originally Posted by namommy
I' getting ready to duck now, since this isn't the most popular opinion in NA.

My first sponsor was a man. But he was the director of the program that I was in, there were no women to sponsor me. I would try AA first if possible, then we do what we have to do. Don't use clean time as an indicator for sponsorship. Look at someone and know that you want what they have, peace, serenity, working knowledge of the 12 steps things like that.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, Shock me.

No Rebel yells from the crowd.

Nuts,

Keep us posted on your progress OK. BTW, I tried sponsoring someone on line before, and that time it didn't work out very well, it was a little difficult not being able to 'hear' the tone of someones voice. I know when one of my sponsees calls and I ask how they are, I can tell by the tone of their voice if they are bullsh*tting me or not.