SoberRecovery Magic.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

SoberRecovery Magic.

Don't know where to post this...

There's good days in recovery, and then there's the rest of the days. Today started out as one of the rest. So much so that by lunchtime, as my little boy and I are eating our sandwiches, I say a silent word to the spirits, asking for a little extra strenght to make the afternoon.
So I sit at the computer, and a friend from SoberRecovery sends me a shout out through Instant Messenger. "I want to try this old camera", he says.
So for twenty minutes, I chatted with smiling JaySee, over in England! And I got to see his surroundings, his puppy, his messy room! He could only hear me, because I have no web cam. But our microphones worked! So we shared a bit about our days. It was very cool.

Here's my point.
It's not the first time that a little pick me up has come to me via SoberRecovery.
And I hope it's not the last.
I'm very grateful that a big ol' biker greybeard in the Finger Lakes area took the time to look me up one morning last May. Or the smiling recovering addict in Connecticut who's learning spanish! And others.
Because I was lonely one morning last year, still fresh out of rehab, and googled the words sober and recovery. And I decided to give a bit of myself to this community.
The gift has been returned a thousand times.
I'm grateful beyond words for the addict named Jon, who decided to buy some software one day.
Because I got to see that JaySee really isn't as ugly as some say!
And because I'm going to make the afternoon.
After all.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

He really is messy? *LOL*

...yup, pretty awesome isn't it?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

That is awesome. I know what you mean Dan. I have made some great friends here, in the month I've been here, in fact I am meeting one of them in person tommorrow and we are going to a meeting together. I think that I found SR the same way you did, and it really has become one of my favorite recovery tools. I think this is definately the best place on the web, and I'm so glad I met you and everyone else.

Have a wonderfully clean day!!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

JAMES,LETS GET THAT ROOM CLEANED.VERY COOL DAN ......ted
Old 02-01-2005, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

What a great post!

Mucho Gracias me Amigo xxx I too am a grateful member.
PS I knew Jaysee would be messy ! lmao !
Old 02-01-2005, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Post I Read It In Your Posts

I'm Often Amazed At The Over All Intelligence That Everyone Has In Here. Their's Good Fellowship As Well. I Don't Seem To Fit In Where Ever I Go. Thank Goodness I Haven't Been Asked To Leave Here. We're All Just A Lot Of Sick People Trying As Hard As We Can To Get Well.

It's So Hard To Convey To The Newcomer, It Will Get Betterr Just Don't Use. I Didn't Even Think I Was Bad Off Until The Very End. Thank God For A Site Like This!!! I'd Have To Say, I've Been Blessed To Have Found You Good People

I'm In The Solution All Day Long And Not Very Many People Get To Say That.

Thanks For Letting Me Share. Thanks For Sharing So I Can Be A Part Of It.

O!!!!!

Ty

Jon

And

All

U

Mods

Last edited by CAPTAINZING2000; 02-01-2005 at 12:27 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I totally feel the magic you speak of Dan. I thank God every day that I "stumbled" upon this community, and that so many were willing to reach out and welcome me. I come here for that pick me up, too. It's awesome that we can be here for each other the way I have so often seen and experienced. That's why I come here often, to see how my friends are doing!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hey Dan

The treat was all mine mate. Nice to chat to you in person. Must do it again soon.

Anybody else fancy seeing inside an Englishman's bedroom.?? Look me up on my profile, my messenger address is there.

much love
JC

p.s If I had known the camera was going to work, I would have tidied up a bit
Old 02-01-2005, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree, Dan, this place is full of magic. I have made friends here who know me better than some friends I have had for 30 years. They understand my bad days, they know what makes me laugh, they know things about my life that nobody outside of SR knows. They see clear through me if I try to fake it, and they walk with me when I get lost.

And the best part is, they cannot see if my house is messy or if my bunny slippers are getting faded with use I can drop in for a visit, unannounced, or spend the evening...my choice, and I always feel welcome.

It truly is magic. Where else could people who never met, who may not know each others names, who may live a continent apart become a fellowship so close that we think of ourselves as "family".

Thank you for allowing me to feel a whole bucket of gratitude on a day that I have been too busy to notice.

Hugs
Ann
Old 02-01-2005, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This place is truly like a breath of fresh air...especially when compared to the other non-recovery, whine and complain sites I used to frequent. Thank God when I happened upon this site it was an," ooo whats this ", and not a," eeewwww whats this " moment!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AND talk about the rockinist smilies I've ever seen
Old 02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

That's really cool Dan. What was he wearing? Pumps and a sarong?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Dan,

1 thing that's cool got several people from an old site I was on Sober City. Got a friend from there Bruno stopped by my place passing thru and spent the nite. he's in Sober Recovery.I knew Andy F, Mizeeyore who I got to be good friends with. Livewyered is from my area in ILL. Tena went to school with my family. Tena lives in Argentina. can't believe we got to know each other. Chase is less then an hours drive away from me. There are several other people as well, I got to sign in as well. I've tried to show my enthusiasm talking about this site to others

So many fascinating people from all over the planet. I just hope, the newcomer sees the love in this site and stick around
Old 02-04-2005, 09:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Old 02-06-2005, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dan,

I love this post - it sums up a lot of what I feel about this place, too. And in case I haven't mentioned it before...

I'm very grateful to a man named Dan - one of the first people here who touched my heart personally, reached out to offer comfort, and always manages to give me a little something to laugh over. Big to you, don't ever forget what a great guy you are.

Trisha
Old 02-06-2005, 08:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abtchonamission
I'm very grateful to a man named Dan - one of the first people here who touched my heart personally, reached out to offer comfort, and always manages to give me a little something to laugh over.
Ditto, only double.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dan,

Thanks so very much for sharing. There is a lot of beautiful stuff going on here. Sober Recovery is just about one of the best things going on the web. I, too, have made many friends here and it's just a great place to be!

ChrisMan
Old 06-19-2005, 08:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Bump.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

amen - and thanks miracle for bumping this - it truly has been a magical place for friends and family too!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dan,
I love this thread. And Miraclen, thanks for bumping it. I may not have found it.

I love SR. I look forward to coming here every day.

It's funny I found this thread today. Last night I tried to come on SR, and a page came up that said "either site no longer exists or it's name has been changed". Talk about panic. I tried to get on SR from every possible angle I could think of, and the same thing. I was hoping it was just some kind of internet glich, and thank God it was.

I couldn't imagine not having this place. I'd surf the web endlessly to find it again. (you can't get rid of me that easy).

I love everyone here, and consider you all family.