Live the truth

Old 01-30-2005, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Live the truth

Man can live his truth, his deepest truth, but cannot speak it.
--Archibald. MacLeish

For many men, being addicts meant living double lives. There were public selves whom others knew, and private selves whom no one met. It was a compulsive world, and both sides were false. Many of us grew up in addicted families and learned this double life early by hiding from outsiders what life was really like at home.

In this program we learn to live our truth before we can speak it. It is more in our actions than in what we say. We may never know the words for this truth because we do not consciously invent it. It comes to us quietly over time and slowly merges all our parts. Gradually we begin to feel whole again as we surrender our double lives for single, truthful ones.

Let me have the trust to give myself to the work of recovery and follow it where it takes me.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

wow - that one is right on the money. My next day 1 will be Tuesday, February 8th. See you then.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bump
Old 04-22-2005, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup I lived a double life for 3 1/2 years
Old 08-01-2005, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bump

Originally Posted by Doug
--Archibald. MacLeish

For many men, being addicts meant living double lives. There were public selves whom others knew, and private selves whom no one met. It was a compulsive world, and both sides were false. Many of us grew up in addicted families and learned this double life early by hiding from outsiders what life was really like at home.

In this program we learn to live our truth before we can speak it. It is more in our actions than in what we say. We may never know the words for this truth because we do not consciously invent it. It comes to us quietly over time and slowly merges all our parts. Gradually we begin to feel whole again as we surrender our double lives for single, truthful ones.

Let me have the trust to give myself to the work of recovery and follow it where it takes me.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Add trying to have a good memory and drink, to keep track of the lies I told and to who. Sort of like one of those spy movies. The guy is a double agent, both sides know, and he's sure he has them both fooled. Don W
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I bite.

I can totally relate to the double - or even triple - lives.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thought this was worth reading again....

Originally Posted by Doug
--Archibald. MacLeish

This really hit home for me when it was posted over 1 year ago.