Notices

NA literature for profit

Old 01-29-2005, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA literature for profit

I have served as gsr of my homegroup for the past seven months, and I have become concerned about something that my area is considering. That is selling NA literature for a higher cost than what the area pays for it. This would be done to raise money for the area. But I feel this could hurt the new comers. I am looking for some feed back, because I realize that I might be totally off base since I've only been around for a little more than a year.

Thank You,
Chris
Old 01-30-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a tough one. I have heard of some areas doing that, the area I belong to doesn't, but we bring in enough on the 7th tradition that we don't have to. Either way, that is something that should go back to the groups for them to vote on and make the decision. It shouldn't be made by the administrative committee on their own.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kleinguy
I have served as gsr of my homegroup for the past seven months, and I have become concerned about something that my area is considering. That is selling NA literature for a higher cost than what the area pays for it. This would be done to raise money for the area. But I feel this could hurt the new comers. I am looking for some feed back, because I realize that I might be totally off base since I've only been around for a little more than a year.

Thank You,
Chris

Chris,

What does your ASC need money for??.... what do they want to do with the money? How much money do they need?? What services does the ASC provide on behalf of and to its member groups?

If you can answer these questions, it will help me give you an informed answer to your question.

Thanks

Richie
Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may need to call a group concience meeting and do an inventory.

What does the area need this extra money for?

Sale of literature should recover it's own expense and if you are falling short of money for rent then you could ask members to put a little more in the basket.

You could also explore the possibilities of a dance and use the money from refrshment sales to offset the rent.

Bear in mind that NA's primary purpose is to carry the message to the still suffering addict so literature and rent are the two most important things on your budget.

As long as you have enough to ensure that the meeting rooms stay open and you maintain a prudent reserve then money should not be a distraction in NA.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just For Today

I'm against it, personally, but I have heard of it being done.

I know a lot of people new to the program are strapped for cash... but part of me always agrees with the person that brings up the fact that someone "had a $100+ a day drug problem... so they should be able to cough up $10 for a fricken book that'll save their lives."

I dunno. I guess I'd want to know where that money is going to be allocated before going above cost.

Most homegroups here have an excess of money that goes to AS. If you live in an area that actually has an ASC, they should have enough meetings that help fund/support area services.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Recoveree
Chris,

What does your ASC need money for??.... what do they want to do with the money? How much money do they need?? What services does the ASC provide on behalf of and to its member groups?

If you can answer these questions, it will help me give you an informed answer to your question.

Thanks

Richie
That's part of my problem with the whole thing. They haven't told us what they intend to do with it. They mentioned trying to get an NA clubhouse with the money. But I don't really think we need it. It was just kind of sprung on us at the last asc. We always have enough money to fulfill all of the money motions that are proposed. And we have a convention in March, which will probably raise at least $5000 for area and a summer campvention which last year raised over $1000. As far as the addict who had the $100 dollar a day habit, most of those addicts have hit rock bottom and supported that habit by doing something illegal (theft, drug sales, prostuition, ect.). Many are trying to pay off court and treatment bills. Some are trying to get enough money to get their own place to live. And many ride the bus to meetings. I just hate the idea of making it any harder for them to get the book that could save their life.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BTW, our area has and supports H&I and PI subcommittes. They both have monthly budgets.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
an addict named Mike

If somebody mentioned getting a clubhouse at an ASC meeting, they need to brush up on their traditions. "NA" doesn't really own property. In accordance with the 6th tradition, all clubhouses and service centers are incorporated business' and are owned by individuals (usually several well off members) and all groups that meet at clubhouses MUST pay rent!!! Opening a clubhouse is not a topic that should come up at an ASC meeting, period. It has nothing to do with what you are there to do, and will create chaos in your area, you can bet on that. It doesn't cost much money to carry the message to the still suffering addict. We addicts just have to dope fiend things sometimes and get caught up in grandiousity and ego. When we are not keeping our services simple and get caught up in "problems of money, PROPERTY, or prestige", we forget about our primary purpose and what we are here to do!! Carry the message!! Every minute we spend bickering about money, is a minute we could be using to try to share this gift of recovery with a dying addict. This scenario also seems to surface when we spend all our time and resources planning activities and fundriasing ventures. The traditions were made up to avoid situations like this.

I would suggest asking group members in the area to start putting more money in the basket and announcing in meetings that the area is short of funds. My area experienced a cash shortage a year or so ago and that worked for us!! Our literature is far too expensive to begin with, why should a book that costs less than $3 to make sell for $10???? I sure wish members of NA still printed the "baby blue" versions of our book on their own at a cost of buck or so. Maybe all these addicts begging me for books at jails and treatment centers I frequent could get the NA message in written form, instead of being force fed other, more mature fellowships literature which is half our price that really doesn't apply to them!!! Anyway, thats a whole different problem!! Lets get back into the solution!!

Several groups in my area actually discount the books to $6-$7 and loose a few dollars a book just to make sure newcomers can get one. My area also pools literature orders together every month (most groups participate) to order from the Florida Regional Service office. When we pool our money together we actually save like 3% or so to put back into the service structure. Sounds like your area really isn't doing that bad financially. Things will work themselves out eventually, but I hope and pray in the meantime that your area can find a solution that will be benificial to the ones who are most affected, and who your ASC is there to SERVE!!! Love & Respect, Mike.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kleinguy
As far as the addict who had the $100 dollar a day habit, most of those addicts have hit rock bottom and supported that habit by doing something illegal (theft, drug sales, prostuition, ect.). Many are trying to pay off court and treatment bills. Some are trying to get enough money to get their own place to live. And many ride the bus to meetings. I just hate the idea of making it any harder for them to get the book that could save their life.
You sound very wise to me. Dont be afraid to put your views across on the basis of 'I've only been around for a little more than a year'. It is your homegroup, your concerns are valid whether you are a day clean or a year. Sounds like your group is lucky to have such a committed gsr.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
an addict named Mike

I agree totally with evanna, your views are definately very important. Your home group has entrusted you to look out for the needs and best interests of the group, and you owe it to them to try to get to the bottom of things. Your group allowed you to be GSR with a year clean, you must be doing something right. Don't every base the value of someones opinion on their clean time, because some are sicker than others. If you see a wrong doing you should speak up, "we must stand for something, or we'll fall for anything."
Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

I'm not as well versed in the NA history as some here.
But doesn't the following go back real far in the literature...

"NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. We … meet regularly to help each other stay clean. ... We are not interested in what or how much you used ... but only in what you want to do about your problem and how we can help."

I think that's from something called the White Pamphlet.
My first sponsor gave that to me a long time ago.
I spend more time in the sister fellowship now. But I just thought I'd post that.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Learning as I go

It sounds wrong to me. I think everyone should be informed of where this extra money goes.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

The price of recovery/living has gone up.lol

Nice to hear recovery is thribing somewhere that they
can afford to raise the price of recovery.
Can't even give it away over here, next to none being purchased.
I had to purchase books for newbie becuase they can't afford it.
The money did bother me. It's the principle of it.
They were working the steps off the wall going off the wall.lol
They are jobless, penniless, almost homeless, no rides with
a liittle more than the clothe on their backs.

I remember myself grauduating from the side of the house, to the patio
to the floor and to the couch.lol

I'm forever greatful recovery was thrown at me at my first meeting.
" If you want to live, read the damn thing...punk ! "

The basic text saved my ass and gave me salutions many, many
times. If not all the time.
It has always been there from the beginning.
Something consistant in my life other than using...WOW an awakening !!
How the hell are you going to work on something without a manual ?
My recovery Bag , I take everywhere. I got that Idea from doing service
work.

What value would I put on my life. $1, $20,or $100000000000 ?

We must first give in order to receive !
WE can only keep what we have by giving it away!
I guess if you sell it you don't have to read it. :tongue2:
Old 02-01-2005, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
UeyNC

I agree with those that have siad that in "my opinion It's wrong to sell the books for profit". Our group has sometimes asked for money to fund other activities. We have gone as far as to pass the basket a second time and stated what the money would be used for from the second collection. I don't think that new comer should have to worry about how their gonna get their books. I definately was one of those who couldn't afford gas to get to a meeting when I finally decided that this was what I wanted to do. I know that without help I wouldn't have even gotten a blue book as soon as I did and it was appreciated. I think It has helped save my life and marriage. This would definately make me wonder about the people who are trying to do that for a proffit. Have they forgotten how it was when first getting clean?? Good luck with a solution to your groups money problems but I'm sure that selling books for a profit isn't the answer!!!!
MIKE

Old 02-01-2005, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, what great words of advice. I love this fellowship and I love this board, because when I wonder which way to go there are others there to show me the way. I knew in my heart that this wasn't a good idea, Thank you for helping me to see why it isn't a good idea.

Chris