Notices

Wow, I had an epiphany yesterday!!

Old 01-29-2005, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Smile Wow, I had an epiphany yesterday!!

I went to the doctor, with all my pain and went in to see him. I was so worried that he would prescribe narcotics for me. We talked for a while about how I was doing with my steps, and he said he's really proud of me. We talked for a little bit about the pain in my shoulder, and surmised it isn't fibromyalgia, it seems to be something else, but he wants me to see an orthepidic doc, as he isn't sure what to do about it. He seems to think I could benefit from a steriod shot, so I got the referall, and he asks if I need any refills on my prozac etc. I ask what I should do about the pain?? He writes me a prescription for Motrin 600.

For a moment, I was honestly offended. I couldn't believe he was giving me MOTRIN. For my pain? Like that would work. I was working up a good head of steam, thinking of something to say to get something stronger, and he said to me, Roxann, don't sabotage yourself. You aren't getting any narcotics, and a lisence to use from me. I care about you, and don't want to see you doing this to yourself again. Take the motrin, meditate and suck up the rest of the pain for the weekend. Call the orthepod on Monday, and get the problem fixed. Drugs aren't the answer here. Get to a meeting. There is one right down the block that starts in a couple hours.

I was floored!! I was honestly floored. I'm so glad he called me on my behavior, even when at first, I couldn't see it. Now I can. Yeah, my shoulder really does hurt. Yeah, I'd like it to just stop. But, I am stronger than this pain. I don't NEED Vicodin. I can handle this without it.

Okay, just needed to tell ya what happened. Now I'm gonna go put some heat on my shoulder, and enjoy this feeling for a while.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Tryin' To Stay Smilin'

I'm SO impressed!

Here I am bitching about a stupid toothache (on another thread), and saying that basically I have no choice but to 'give in' and use the Vicodin the dentist offered cause the pain's just too TOO much! Pity poor me!

And I'm thinking this isn't justification?!?! I want to use! Who am I kidding?

If I only had a doc who said that kind of thing to me..... back up: if I had been strong enough in the beginning to tell the dentist that I had a narcotic abuse problem, he wouldn't have prescribed them for me in the first place - don't ya think?

I'm a dork. Your thread makes me reanalyse what's happening in my head.

Thank you! You're my hero........
Old 01-29-2005, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cj.
Mending

(((((Roxann)))))

GOOD FOR YOU!!

And hats off to your doctor!!
Old 01-29-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Think you got a G*d wink? lol.So glad thing's worked out for you.For me being addicted to those painkiller's was unbearable.thanks for the reminder! Bless,Trish
Old 01-29-2005, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
spirit

hey roxanne, what an awesome dr you have there, keep him, he obviously cares very much for you. more than that he KNOWS you can do this, he is seeing how strong you are !!!

you go girl, use the heat bag, eat chocolate to make yourself feel better haha, a little reward, who cares, just get through the weekend and yes you are right, you dont need those drugs mate

congrats,
kath
Old 01-29-2005, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Thank you everyone. I really am proud of me today. The pain is still there, but it isn't as bad, and the Motrin is helping.

Stay well everyone!!!
Old 01-29-2005, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Roxanne,

I am LOVING your doctor right now. I wish they were all that ethical and concerned about their patients. Hang onto him.

And, good for you for being able to see the wisdom in his words. Believe it or not MOTRIN actually works better than vicodin because it is an anti-inflammatory. Most pain is caused by inflammation, so you are actually treating the problem and not just masking the pain with meds.