Boldly forward

Old 01-24-2005, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Boldly forward

Staying where you've always been is warm and cozy and comfortable. It's easy to get used to accepting less than you're capable of achieving, just because it's so familiar.
The moment you decide to move ahead, to try something new, to expect more of yourself, it can be frightening. When you take that first step out into the unrelenting, chilly wind of reality and you get blown around a bit, it can make you want to jump back into the refuge of your comfort zone.

Yet staying cozy all the time will eventually smother you. The worst regrets you'll ever know are the regrets for things not attempted. When you step away from what's comfortable, you open yourself up to a world of possibilities. Some of those possibilities can be daunting. Yet when you're able to accept the risks, when you can live with the most difficult challenges and work your way through them, you'll reap the greatest, most fulfilling rewards.

What do you really, truly desire from life -- to stay comfortably where you are and to never again make a difference, or to fill each precious day with the best that you can be? Choose to live. Choose to look those difficult challenges in the eye and dare to make the most of them. Step boldly forward and take delight in how far you can go.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm terrible at keeping myself in a "safe" place. "Safe" is where I am most comfortable, especially after the war zone I came from.

I need this reminder to keep growing, keep moving forward, and to explore the "unknown" and follow my dreams.

Thanks Doug.

Hugs
Ann
Old 01-24-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I always used to wonder what could have been, IF, I were not a drunk. Well, today being sober and little by little daring to take chances, I'm starting to amaze myself at what I can do. Ann, I keep myself safe today but, only from the alcoholic traps that caoght me before. I've found learning from them has exposed those lying in wait. I'm sure you understand the difference between isolation for safety and keeping one's self safe. This is something I've had to learn myself. Don W
Old 01-24-2005, 09:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I bite.

My big risk right now is being elected President of a volunteer fire department. I have so much to learn! But I do hope to grow from the challenge.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Doug

Good luck Grim, I hope you get it, and I bet you'll do a fine job for all involved.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I bite.

Thanks for your support Doug!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Luck Grim. They have faith in you. Now you need to have faith in yourself. This stuff can be scary but, also rewarding. I took a supervisors job and worried the whole time. After years of letting opportunities go by, is sobriety we can go for the gold.
What I did to help, was to ask myself what was the worse that could happen? Most states no longer use a Firing Squad. All kidding aside, the worst that could happen that you either step down or be asked to. If you don't try, the worst is wondering maybe the rest of your life. OK Mr. President, go get'em. Don W
Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would also like to wish you all the best Grim. You never know if you don't try. Good post, Doug.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I bite.

Originally Posted by Don W
Most states no longer use a Firing Squad.
hahahaha!!!

Nice one and that made me laugh.

Thanks Don and Sherbear!!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Feels good to be able to laugh again. HuH? Don W
Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love this post Doug!!! Very inspiring!! Adding it to my Fav's. punkinpie