Daily Inventory

Old 01-23-2005, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily Inventory

Daily Inventory

Being in recovery means not acting out or old addictive behaviors. This basically means behaving ourselves.

This also means changing our old way of thinking. Old behaviors take a long time to die. We didn't get the way we are in one day so progress is "One Day At A Time" Self awareness is the key to making changes. One way of doing this is using the Tenth Step by taking a daily inventory.

The Tenth step reads,

"We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it."

At the end of each day we can ask ourselves what we could do tomorrow to not make the same mistakes we made today.
We only have to admit these things to ourselves at first and then we start to make changes a little at a time. Remember "Progress Not Perfection"

We don't have to have more than one day clean to take the Tenth Step we can take this any time. By doing this our lives will get better.
At the end of each day write down what tools for recovery you used today and ask your self the following questions.

Did I say or do anything that I need to make amends for?
What self changes did I make today?
How did I work the program today?
What did I do to stay sober today?

After doing this you will discover some areas that you may need to work on or perhaps some changes in behavior are in order so that you don't repeat the same mistakes again tomorrow. All in all by doing this daily you will see over time the growth you are making in recovery. It is also during this time of quiet reflection that we can realize the many things that we are grateful for because of recovery. Inventory Example

Personal Inventory in Recovery
"Nothing Changes, if Nothing Changes!"
Knowing our true self is essential for long term recovery. The sooner that we take our own inventory, the sooner we start getting better.
The best tools to help you with your recovery are the NA or AA Fourth Steps. Some other important questions you can ask yourself are listed below. The most important thing is to be totally honest.

WHAT IS GOING RIGHT

I have a lot of friends

I have a decent job and people like the work that I do.

Others can count on me; I'm dependable.

I have a reasonable amount of intelligence.

I have no major financial difficulties: I'm secure.

My wife/husband and I get along fairly well.

I am healthy.

My belief in a higher power gives me a kind of center in my life.
WHAT IS GOING WRONG

I seem to have a very negative attitude.

I get dependent on others much too easily.

My life seems boring too much of the time.

I am afraid to take risks.

I am not being honest.

I am not being open-minded.

I am not trying.

I think I am better than others.

I am not getting enough rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIST WHAT IS GOING RIGHT

Use the guide above and take some time to start writing your personal inventory. Be honest and sincere with yourself as you write this out and make sure to list both of your positive and negative traits. Try to answer all of the above questions in detail and you will be able to get a better view on how your life is growing.
Recovery is all about progress and over time in recovery if we continue to take an honest inventory on a regular basis we will begin to see our own progress and growth in black and white on paper. Recovery does happen and it happens every day.

Remember, "Recovery is a Journey.... Not a Destination!"
Old 01-23-2005, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

T2S

Thanks for this reminder.

I won't take you up on using the form for personal inventory, but I can assure you that the Credit column is growing.

Doubtless the debit side will grow, but with the programme I can deal with the debits and make amends as I go along.

Thanks.

Rich
Old 01-23-2005, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Doug

Thanks for sharing that T2, it can make starting the first one seem less daunting/confusing.

Remember, "Recovery is a Journey.... Not a Destination!"
A short sentence with a big reminder, just like Pernell used to say, "Recovery is a process, not an event."

Thanks again