Notices

detox question...any answers?

Old 12-30-2004, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

detox question...any answers?

Can anyone tell me how long to detox from methadone?
Thanks....
Shalom!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have an idea that the duration would differe from individual to individual. Bear in mind that while the physical detox may be a relatively fixed period of time, psychological/emotional withdrawl could go on for longer periods.

Just my opinion here but I feel that the psycho/emotional stage is addictions playground.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Longer than other opiates. While, like Gooch said, it's going to vary some from person to person, methadone has a significantly longer half-life than, say, heroin or morphine or oxycodone, etc. Most opiate detox takes 3-5 days, whereas I THINK methadone takes more like a week to ten days. I'm sure someone else will be along to really set the record straight. In the meantime, I'll look into this further.
—EZ
Old 12-30-2004, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I'm sorry, teach. I assumed you were asking how long withdrawal symptoms would last if one went cold turkey off methadone. The drug itself should be cleared from the body in about 5 days, maybe longer. If you were wondering about how long a taper would take, well, that would definitely depend on how much the person was taking, but I saw a ballpark figure of 3 weeks for that. Hope this helps!
—EZ
Old 12-30-2004, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sorry if I confused the question....
Old 12-30-2004, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

LOL, Gooch. I don't think you did, but I may have! Where'd teach get to?
ez
Old 12-30-2004, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Teach,

You already know my experience with methadone. I was going through withdrawl for about 14 days, when I relapsed again. I don't know how much longer it would have taken otherwise.

Hang in there.
Love ya
Laurie
Old 12-30-2004, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

THank you all. Son is detoxing from methadone at the ex's house. I don't know why he is not at a detox center. I just got an email this evening from the ex asking. I told him I would check. He is going cold turkey.
Gootch, I agree about the psycho/emotional state being addiction's playground.
Shalom!
Old 12-31-2004, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

So it looks like it'll be a week or two, huh? Supposedly the withdrawal is less INTENSE though, than that from other opiates. What is the "aftercare" plan? Will he be going to meetings? I do NA, but I also take naltrexone, an opiate blocker, and I think it helps alot. It reduces my temptation to use and I believe it reduces cravings, too. I hardly have any. Might be a thought for your son. You're both in my prayers!

Shalom, love, and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-01-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From the storys I have heard about going cold turkey off methadone, it takes alot longer which can make it alot worse than other opiates to detox cold tukey. Alot of it would probally depend on the amount he is on and how determinded he is. Ive heard of people still feeling sick months after detoxing from methadone, and some start to get it togeather after a few weeks.

I really hope your son can make it cold turkey. But if he dosent it might be worth looking into other alternatives. One would be Suboxone, if your son thinks he really cant make it cold turkey and says he wants to go back on methadone, it would be worth seeng if you can get him on suboxone instead, (before he takes any methaodne). When people switch from methadone to suboxone it is made alot easier if they have not had methadone for a while and are in withdrawal. Suboxone has heledp alot of methadone addicts get clean, its easier to taper and detox off. Here is some links on suboxone if your interested.

http://opioids.com/buprenorphine/subutex-suboxone.html
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopag...ne/default.htm
Old 01-01-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bless your son. I'll be surely praying for him. Hopefully he can make it cold turkey. Hopefully your ex understands the dynamics of it also.

Personally that is one of the worse kicks that I experienced, and I didn't take alot or for a long duration. Everyone I know who did kick it though is much the better for it.

Big hugs for your son. I wish I could be there to sit with him, and cover him or just listen. It really helps to have someone understand.

Hope you are well also Teach. It has to be hard for you too. Hang in there.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

My son is going through methadone withdrawal, too.

I have no idea what to expect. He decided to do this himself and does not want family involvement. I know that he was having a lot of bloody diarrhea and that he was very tired, sleeping a lot. He was still making it to work every day but after a week he went to the doctor. He is on clonidine for two weeks and then he goes back. Tomorrow his dose of clonidine is cut in half. He is sleepy but he says he is not hurting so bad in his gut. I have no idea what to expect but he wants to work this out between him and his doctor so I cannot go ask. What knowledge can anyone give me from experience? There is no NarAnon in over a hundred miles from me.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No expectations!

((((wenchris)))),

Welcome to SoberRecovery! There is a Nar-Anon forum here you could check out and you may also want to try some Al-Anon meetings. There's no Nar-Anon near me either so I sometimes go to Al-Anon. It helps.

It's great that your son is working closely with a doctor and is using the clonidine. I'm glad he isn't going it alone entirely. I don't have any personal experience with methadone detox, but a had some clonidine when I was coming off other opiates and that was useful.

I just wanted to welcome you. You and your son will both be in my thoughts and prayers!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you thank you

Thank you for the message and hugs. It helps so much when you are feeling you are stranded on an island. My family feels one of two ways about my son, a) he is a jerk and needs to grow up and I dont want him around or b) too young to understand what is happening and just want their brother back. I hate being stuck in the middle of this lonely island. I hate it worse that my son has chosen an island within viewing distance but unable to be reached by boat.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No expectations!

More hugs, (((wenchris))) ! You need some face-to-face support, sweetie. Try an Al-Anon meeting since there is no Nar-Anon near you. You will find lots of love and hugs and support there, OK?

Maybe this :boat will get you to :help1 ! Just don't :sink getting there!

Love and hugs always,
Eddie
Old 01-06-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am looking for that meeting. I am looking for that support. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, wenchris! And here's a link that may help you:
Michigan Al-Anon information numbers

Love and hugs,
Eddie

P.S. Teach, how's YOUR son?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My son should be around this weekend because he usually comes over at least one of the days he is off work plus Sunday is his brothers ( this brother is an overachiever that Chris never feels he measures up to) 21st birthday.......I am very nervous because I am wanting so badly to see a smiling boy. He did not miss any work this week. He found out his live in girlfriend is pregnant. He is reported by the girlfriend to be doing "GREAT" and sticking with the program. Maybe responsibility will give him a reason to stay clean. We will just have to wait and see. Always hoping you know.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No expectations!

(((((wenchris))))),
Always hoping and praying for you and your son. Sounds like he IS doing well. Let us know how things go this weekend, OK?
—EZ
Old 01-12-2005, 12:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
To Life!

eddie;
Thanks for asking about my son.
He went back out - again - and OD'd again.
He is in a detox facility - again.
They are letting him out on Wednesday, and he is going to a rehab on Thursday. He's supposed to go to his father's again while he waits the day. They won't keep him the one day....
Please keep him in your prayers....
Shalom!