Inner Plumbing.

Old 11-06-2004, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dan

Inner Plumbing.

"What's the difference?", we might say to ourselves.
Or "I'm too far gone anyway, why not get loaded..."

But then, we find recovery, and a way to stop using and drinking. But are we changing the things that drove us to act in an insane manner?
Or are we simply waiting it out?

Changes at our core are essential to recover from our addictions. For without change, we're not addressing the reasons that made us such self-loathing people.

And if we don't overhaul the plumbing, the next clog in the pipe might be the fatal one.
I need to love and forgive myself, in order to recover.
Because unless I do, the next time I crave and obsess, I can't be sure I'll be able to say "I care enough about me to look beyond this moment, and to not believe myself when I say I don't care"

What's the point of recovery If I don't change?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
spirit

wise words mate and very tough ones, if we had the answer to that easily then we would be happy little vegemites - as they say down under

hugs
kath
Old 11-06-2004, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

dan- You know something I have heard over and over in recovery is "the same person will drink again" Sadly in the past I have proven that theory over and over again.I find my answers to the changes I need to make in myself thru the steps and the behaviors I see in others,you know pointing the finger and having three pointing back at you.Recovery for me is a process,there are days when I still indulge in old behaviors.You know defects are the flat tire and shortcomings are driving on it!The people in the fellowship love me on the days I cant love myself if I let them know whats going on with me.I dont know if you are struggling with change right now or not,hope not,but if you are,I need to tell you "expect a miracle" and read those promises ! Love you xx Trish
Old 11-06-2004, 02:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Trish and Kath.
Nope, not struggling. But I'd like to hear about others and their experiences with change.
Change is a big word, I know.
Just thought I'd throw the subject out there.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kit

Thanks for your words Dan. I'm working so hard to change my core. I feel like I'm doing it too. I'm different than I used to be. I meditate, practice yoga, and breathe deep - in and out, in and out. It is a tremendous tool. I have a question: If I've had a stressful day and I drink one of those non alcoholic beers, is that ok? Or am I just reacting to my stress in the same old way. It really helps to have it, and for some reason it relaxes me. But I don't want to be a dry drunk. I hope someone can answer that. Love, Kit
Old 11-06-2004, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

AS THEY SAY IN MEETINGS AROUND HERE"IF YOUR A DRUNKEN HORSE THIEF,
AND YOU QUIT DRINKING,YOUR STILL A HORSE THIEF".
I HAVE COME TO THE UNDERSTANDING THAT CHANGE IS A PROCESS.
IF I EXPECT TO BE HAPPY IN SOBRIETY I HAVE TO LOOK AT MYSELF,
TAKE SUGGESTIONS FROM OTHERS WHO DON'T USE MY EYES TO SEE.
PRETTY MUCH H.O.W.,THANKS DOUBLE D
.................ted