In perspective

Old 10-29-2004, 01:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

In perspective

If you look at a problem all by itself, it can seem to be massive and overpowering. Yet when you look at it within the context of your entire life and all the good, valuable things you have, the picture quickly improves.
In the midst of a disappointing experience, it can seem like nothing will ever be right again. Yet when you get a little distance from it, and take into account all your many blessings, a sense of hope begins to return.

When you've stumbled, the quickest way to get back up is to put things in perspective. Sure, the last five minutes, or the last five days, have been lousy, but there's much more to consider.

Think for a moment about all the positive things in your life. Then start moving confidently and deliberately toward them again.

The disappointments of the moment begin to fade as soon as you decide to put them in their place. Defeat starts to become victory as soon as you do something positive about it.

Never lose sight of how good life can be. Putting the problems in perspective will get you moving past them.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Bump.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doug, in my opinion, that is actually the main focus for addiction counseling at least, and for most counseling. Let the person discard "extras", then help them change perspective...not necessarily from a more big picture view, though that too, but sometimes from a slightly different "angle". Sort of "take a look at the problem from where you are, then take one step to either side" type thing.

That was what helped me the most the first time, and that is what I'm trying to do again.

BubbaBob
Old 10-25-2005, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Doug, A perfect example of this is my past posts concerning issues. The issues say a year ago that were so important, I'm lucky if I remember them. Sadly, we/I have programed myself into an all or nothing world. In alot of cases, the issues took care of themselves. Sometimes, I take a thread that's been around for a long time. I go back and I'm amazed at the things I thought were important and the progress I've made. To bad we couldn't have a thread like the time capsules people plant to be opened in the future.
Wherever we are in recovery, like a diary, make a note for that day. Then at 6 months check it, then a year and so on. I guess we could "Save Time in A Bottle" put this note in a bottle and set a date to open it. I truly believe that many things have not changed around me. My perspective of them is what has changed. Oh, how our priorities change.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

...and take into account all your many blessings, a sense of hope begins to return.
I know as long as I can be grateful, I am healthy and there is hope...

Don, I've saved some of my best threads in a special, "My personal growth" folder. It helps to go back and to see how far I've come, even as I recognize I have far to go.

Good post, Doug. Thanks for posting it -- even if it was a year ago!
Shalom!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree History, I go back on Nightmares Thread and learn much from my not so good posts. Different time, different people. That's what we are. That my friend is a true sign of progress. Being different people on the positive side.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((Doug)) I really needed this message today...thank you!
Hope
Old 10-26-2005, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This always improves my perspective.
Take a moment for a...Positive Pause
Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I bite.

Perspective and Postive Attitude go hand-in-hand for me.

Gabe, thanks for sharing that link.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gabe, That is possibly the most beautiful and inspiring and enjoyable thing I've seen in a long time. After a long hard day at work. it has lifted the heavy load of tomorrow's prospect and returned my perspective to the moment. This is a great tool to practice my grounding excercise. I am going to relay your message to those on the Mental Health Board.