Notices

I am grateful for ...

Old 04-28-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The best way out is through -- Robert Frost

I am grateful for ...

... my sobriety every second of every day. Today is my 3 month sobriety anniversary and I am so very grateful for the richness, clarity, and appreciation that I have received in return for putting down the bottle(s).

Last night I had a dream in which I drank a glass of red wine with my Greek food. I reached to pour a second glass thinking, "I could have just one more" before realizing that I was drinking alcohol. I poured the 2 bottles I had ordered down the drain and ran off, sobbing, because I had erased everything that I had worked so hard to gain. I leaned against a door and cried and cried because I had so casually thrown it all away and nothing had changed ("I could have just one more"?!). When I woke up, I cried more tears out of gratitude for my very real sobriety. This was my first dream in which I broke my sobriety. Coincidental timing? Methinks not.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 3 month anniversary, WenRiver!

Wonderful post.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats from me too WR

D
Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats WenRiver on 3 months of sobriety. Congrats on taking your life back.

Thankful, they were only dreams. Keep going, you'll never regret sobriety.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The best way out is through -- Robert Frost

Thank you so much, everyone, for your support, kindness, and positivity. In many ways, sobriety feels so natural to me that I can't believe it has only been 3 months! In others, when I am thrown into social drinking situations, I feel like a teenager at a college party, flustered and not sure what to do with my hands. I tend to avoid those types of parties, just as I did in high school.

The dream, especially now that I have some distance from the initial fear that saturated me, was a blessing. IS a blessing. I don't have to wonder "what if I just had one glass of wine" because I did it, in my dream, in the most mundane, non-escalating, sterile environment: a meal in a quiet restaurant. And I escalated, or wanted to. So, THAT is what would happen and I am so lucky to have experienced that in a safe but authentic way.

I am a glass half full kinda gal. Or glass overflowing! Oh -- with seltzers and shrubs ... overflowing with seltzers and shrubs.

Thank you again and Dee, I LOVE Pooh's Thoughtful Spot.