Notices

Afternoon Gratitude

Old 03-01-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Afternoon Gratitude

I'm in the process of adopting gratitude listing as a healthy daily habit, so although I forgot to do so this morning, I'm doing one now as soon as I remembered:

I'm grateful for
The Seasons
It's the beginning of autumn (fall) here in Australia following the hottest summer on record, according to the newspapers. I can finally leave the house without trepidation, stop feeling like I've stepped into an oven when I get in my car before the air conditioning starts overcoming the heat! It's really great to be able to plan trips outdoors and look forward to them!

AA meetings
This morning I pushed myself to go to a 10:30am meeting that's among the nearest to my house (I am blessed in that I have at least one local meeting a day, at different times and places). This particular meeting, in spite of it's proximity, I had only attended twice before so I was less familiar with the people there
I didn't feel like going but I reminded myself that it's when I give in to doing what I 'feel' like doing or procrastinate cos I don't 'feel like it' I'm looking trouble in the face. It's the sort of weakness that leads inevitably (for me) to drinking.
So I went. Amazing how simple it sounds compared to the internal struggle preceding it!
I'd arrived half an hour earlier and while I was waiting still the disease within me was trying to sway me to go home. I actually got as far as calling my partner to come and pick me up (I can't drive yet) but I came to my senses with only ten minutes to go and my partner hadn't gone far when I somehow reached for the strength to ring back to say I'll stay.
And I'm so glad I did!!
I was called to the floor second and I could literally feel the weight lifting from my shoulders as I shared. By the end of the meeting my emotional state was transformed completely from the fearful mouse I was this morning. It's been a couple of hours since I came home and I still feel the glow! It should get me through until my sponsor picks me up for a women's meeting this evening.
It's touch and go at times, but I really think there's a good chance that I'll get through today without a drink!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you, Seska!

I "know" you'll get through today without drinking.

Keep up the great work. Great job on pushing past the fear and reaching out for help.