2 Years and a total secular recovery

Old 02-24-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

2 Years and a total secular recovery

Hello People:

Today marks my 2nd year of sobriety and the only support system has been SR. My sobriety has been totally secular with no magical thinking or reliance on supernatural forces. Just me and the good folks here.

My life is so much better now, but far from perfect. I don't expect I'll ever find perfect but I've had moments where I've found bliss. Little moments, such as enjoying a glorious sunset, waking up with a clear head. I try to keep my life as stress free as possible. I live alone with my two dogs and most of my evenings and days are quite boring. I have been in a holding pattern for two years; just learning to be me, but this year should bring some good changes (I think I've finally met someone worth my time).

As simple as the Big Plan is, it works. I've faced many challenges in the past 2 years, deaths, job loss, separation, birthdays, holidays, disappointments, parties, births and the biggest one for me...BOREDOM - all those things where people either commiserate,, celebrate or drink just because.

My favourite time of day is when I first wake up (usually very early) always marveling that my head is clear and no hangover. My big dog knows that is her time for cuddles on the bed. I make myself an espresso, crawl back under the covers, and then I read the news, other websites and always SR.

I don't post often, but I read about those struggling and those who have passed milestones and each person has given me something, be it the strength to continue or realizing that it wasn't so long ago that I was on Day 1.

Thanks to everyone.
CF
Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Calicofish!

D
Old 02-24-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 02-24-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congratulations, Calico!
I hear you on no magical thinking....THAT was part of the bad old days
Old 02-24-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats calico fish-- what a great update!
Old 02-25-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations Calicofish .

I'm sorry to hear of your losses and glad the future is looking more hopeful for you. .
Old 02-26-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Excellent News, and thanks for sharing it. I took the same Route and like - without reservation - where that proverbial Highway took me >3 Years on.

K.I.S.S., eh? Keep It Simple, Soberist...
Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The best way out is through -- Robert Frost

Thank you for sharing this. I, too, am primarily doing this with the support of SR, my journals, and my dogs. It is great to see that this can be successful; you are truly an inspiration. Through all of your challenges you did it.

I love your description of your mornings.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AHHHHHHH, yes Calicofish good going...You know it's all worth it just for the mornings alone..)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

405 days sober, SR only. No interest in involving any god in my problems and I doubt he's all that interested!
Old 03-13-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations Calicofish.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh yes, great job Calicofish!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Calicofish. Good work!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats, Calico! I am glad that you decided to make our little corner of the internet your home.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Congrats, 4 years 10 months with SMART here. It can be done
Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Hello People:

Today marks my 2nd year of sobriety and the only support system has been SR. My sobriety has been totally secular with no magical thinking or reliance on supernatural forces. Just me and the good folks here.

My life is so much better now, but far from perfect. I don't expect I'll ever find perfect but I've had moments where I've found bliss. Little moments, such as enjoying a glorious sunset, waking up with a clear head. I try to keep my life as stress free as possible. I live alone with my two dogs and most of my evenings and days are quite boring. I have been in a holding pattern for two years; just learning to be me, but this year should bring some good changes (I think I've finally met someone worth my time).

As simple as the Big Plan is, it works. I've faced many challenges in the past 2 years, deaths, job loss, separation, birthdays, holidays, disappointments, parties, births and the biggest one for me...BOREDOM - all those things where people either commiserate,, celebrate or drink just because.

My favourite time of day is when I first wake up (usually very early) always marveling that my head is clear and no hangover. My big dog knows that is her time for cuddles on the bed. I make myself an espresso, crawl back under the covers, and then I read the news, other websites and always SR.

I don't post often, but I read about those struggling and those who have passed milestones and each person has given me something, be it the strength to continue or realizing that it wasn't so long ago that I was on Day 1.

Thanks to everyone.
CF
Congrats Calico. I am approaching two years myself also with a total secular recovery. It can be done, as you point out.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I love this post! xo
Old 03-21-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations Calicofish! Amazing post - thank you. I'm at 80ish days and also relying solely on SR - inspiring to hear of you and others further down the road.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I'm not sure how many middle age men struggle with alcohol, but I've certainly noticed many middle aged women who are approaching the line of alcohol abuse, if not already crossed it. I've read many reports that alcohol is very problematic for women who are either going through menopause or post menopausal. I really think that is when my addiction kicked into high gear.

I've casually spoke with many of my girlfriends in regards to my stopping drinking and almost all of them admit to drinking too much wine (it's always wine) and wishing they didn't, mainly because they are hating the weight gain. They ask me why I quit, and I tell them for health reasons (which is true). My health was being compromised big time. Most of them cannot not image a life without wine. A couple of them are on sad trajectory because they admit to me they drink a bottle of wine a night - always. I just tell them how much better I feel and hope that some day they will also give it up. All of them use alcohol to cope with stress. It's a huge problem with women.

Many of my friends have no clue the link between anxiety-depression and alcohol. They also do not realize that women are more easily affected by alcohol than men in terms of health problems. I see them struggling and it breaks my heart.

Last edited by Calicofish; 03-23-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Adding a few thoughts.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Calicofish, your post sure resonated with me. I was a social drinker for many years, then as I approached menopause I gradually increased my wine intake. When I was at ~3/4 of a bottle, most days, I started to realize it was a problem. My outlook and mood got worse and worse. My sister is in a similar boat -- complains about her depression but won't make the link to her drinking. I shared my experience a couple times, but of course it's up to her.

Thanks for the post.