Notices

Health issues finally making me think...

Old 01-10-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health issues finally making me think...

Can I be grateful for health issues? I am not sure, but sometimes we have to look at the silver lining on the dark clouds that scare us.

I am grateful that I know enough about alcohol intake and health to realize it is hurting my health. I never had to say that before, but now I must realize it. I have a cardiologist appointment tomorrow for a follow up from my cardiac surgery November 2015. I had a valve replaced and an aortic aneurysm repaired. These were due to structural deformities (bicuspid aortic valve) I am so grateful that this surgery saved my life and I am here to write about it.

In any case, this past year has been a blur, trying to fit in everything I could because I didn't die... it hasn't been as healthy year as it should have been for my heart. I went through an echocardiogram yesterday, which by default included taking blood pressure, and mine was all over the place. The tech had to take it 4 times. I have anxiety at medical establishments and other places, and was blaming that. But is it that really? Perhaps this is a wake up call that I have to be grateful for.

I realized that it was time to get back on this board and get my health under control.

I am so grateful I cut back on my drinking a few years ago, but I never did manage to stop for good. I guess now is the time. I certainly don't follow the 1 drink a day rule for women, and I guess I fall into the binge on the weekend category, even if I don't finish a bottle of wine in a sitting, 3 glasses will be categorized as binging.

I am hopeful as I face this last step. Now I just have to do it.

Rosalia
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll finds tons of support here, rosalia.

I'm happy to hear you've decided to take the first step!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

D
Old 01-10-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Today is a great day to get sober!