Notices

mental health after I quit drinking

Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mental health after I quit drinking

Hello everyone,
I am new here but I have been drinking for about 4 years now...
I developed depersonalization after smoking weed a little over 4 years ago. I was completely sober from weed and alcohol for 6 months then started drinking to help with what i was going through.
Anyways Ive been drinking everyday for most of those 4 years and only stopped for a month last year, and then recently from 12/1/2016 to 12/28/2106. towards the end of my drinking I was at about a pint a night but never drinking during the day. I have still had depersonalization this whole time and some anxiety these 4 years, but even when I quit last month I didnt have such severe anxiety and or depression. Well 12/28/2106 I started drinking again up to 1/5/2017 where I was doing heavy drinking all day and all night pretty much none stop. The last 2 days of my drinking I was basically sleeping all day and night only to wake up to take shots of alcohol. Then 1/5/2016 i went to the ER after waking up from a black out with a major panic attack and still drunk...Turns out I could have died if I didnt go to the hospital due to severe dehydration and other problems due to the booze..So now to my concern..Is it normal for me to still feel soo anxious and depressed and my head so out of wack 4 days after I stopped (this is day 4 sober)? Since other times I quit I didnt experience this intense anxiety? Is it because I drank so much all day and night with no breaks that my brain is taking so long to recover? Sorry If I haven't composed this so well, im just needing opinions of people in hopes of that someone can tell me my brain will eventually go back to not being so anxious and depressed.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coming of a hard bender can really do a number on your body. I felt like absolute garbage for a good week once. Also alcoholism is progressive as time goes on so does the ill effects which are just going to keep getting worse and worse as time goes on.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by khyzer35 View Post
Is it normal for me to still feel soo anxious and depressed and my head so out of wack 4 days after I stopped (this is day 4 sober)?
There are many effects detoxing will have on your body, so this is not abnormal. Please continue seeking medical help if you don't feel right and be honest with professionals about your drinking. Recovery is a long process and takes a lot of effort, feeling normal won't happen overnight.

Welcome to SR, I'm glad you've joined us. Please take the time to read what others have experienced and share about yourself with us.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes your brain will go back to normal. I promise.

4 days is great I'm thinking as I write this now you on day 5 ?

Another two days you should be feeling better in terms of your body but anxiety levels will progressively drop as weeks go by.

I'm sure your doctor is looking after you with suitable medication which should deal with anxiety , in the meantime try and eat well , nurse yourself with comforts , light walks and breathing techniques.

Look forward to the high that follows soon when your brain goes back to normal function which should be soon , everybody's here for advise

See you on the other side ☀️