Notices

I don't know who to trust

Old 11-19-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

I don't know who to trust

About a year ago (after extensive counseling for anxiety) I sought a second opinion for my troubles. The outcome was that I had ADHD, and AvPD, without any testing whatsoever (apparently the psychologist thought a questionnaire was all that was needed). This sounded accurate to me, but I wanted to know more.

After researching the coincidence between ADHD and ASD (autism spectrum disorder), I went to an LMHC for yet another opinion. He told me I had ASD, not ADHD, and that the aforementioned psychologist was wrong. With this in mind, I was kind of stunned. This guy also provided no testing whatsoever, so I pursued a psychologist who did actual testing.

After seeing yet another psychologist who actually did extensive testing, it turned out that I don't have either ASD nor ADHD; just social anxiety.

Onto the point, I obviously trust my final opinion above all of the others, because he did a lot of testing on me, but what gives? Every professional I see argues with the last one, which leads me to believe everybody is full of **** in their own unique way. It seems like I could see a fifth or sixth guy and they'd tell me I'm a ******* narcissist.

I'm not a doctor myself, but I like to think that if I have a disorder, other doctors should be able to see it, too. For example, if I had cancer, I'd want my 'second opinion' doctor to agree that it's ******* cancer.

Can anyone relate to this? It's so strange to me that every one of my psychologists and counselors can disagree with eachother to such a degree. I don't even know who to trust anymore.

Edit: This relates to alcohol for me because it's the thing I always seem to turn to, and clearly have a problem with. If I have no answers, I drink, even though I don't want to.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living the life

Deathbox that sounds very frustrating. It's hard to make a plan to deal with something when you are not sure what it is you are dealing with.

My guess is that drinking would aggravate the situation. Are you trying to quit drinking, and if so, do you have a plan to do so?
Old 11-20-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Psychiatric diagnosis doesn't have the extensive range of objective tests that medical diagnosis does. In your analogy, the cancer doctors would have a whole range of test results from blood tests to MRIs, and since they have more tools...more likely to agree. Although the term "second opinion" still gets used for a reason.

Medical health professionals also have to rely much more on subjective info from the patient. Did you tell them the realities of your alcohol use?

From experience I can say one thing for certain...alcohol makes anxiety of any kind infinitely worse, even though we all believe exactly the opposite.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Db,

Imo...medical science..especially that of the mind...is not cut and dry.

But, what is for sure...100%...is drinking does not help any mental issues.

Some might argue that a little nip of wisky a day, or a glass of wine w dinner is good for us....ok.

But...for us...one nip is like a small hole in the dam. Without fail....eventually the bottles are in our belly...and we get to deal w all the aftermath.

Like my sober wife says....forget about it.

It only gets better and better each day we embrace sobriety and deny our addiction.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mental health issues aren't as cut and dry like say a clear physical one. Diagnosing mental health disorders really comes down to how you answer questions, and the therapist using their own judgement to make a diagnosis. I know I've been to many and often times got different diagnosis as well.
ADHD I know to correctly address is done by an extensive questionnaire and is usually detected in early childhood, though can go on into adulthood.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeathBox View Post
About a year ago (after extensive counseling for anxiety) I sought a second opinion for my troubles. The outcome was that I had ADHD, and AvPD, without any testing whatsoever (apparently the psychologist thought a questionnaire was all that was needed). This sounded accurate to me, but I wanted to know more.

After researching the coincidence between ADHD and ASD (autism spectrum disorder), I went to an LMHC for yet another opinion. He told me I had ASD, not ADHD, and that the aforementioned psychologist was wrong. With this in mind, I was kind of stunned. This guy also provided no testing whatsoever, so I pursued a psychologist who did actual testing.

After seeing yet another psychologist who actually did extensive testing, it turned out that I don't have either ASD nor ADHD; just social anxiety.

Onto the point, I obviously trust my final opinion above all of the others, because he did a lot of testing on me, but what gives? Every professional I see argues with the last one, which leads me to believe everybody is full of **** in their own unique way. It seems like I could see a fifth or sixth guy and they'd tell me I'm a ******* narcissist.

I'm not a doctor myself, but I like to think that if I have a disorder, other doctors should be able to see it, too. For example, if I had cancer, I'd want my 'second opinion' doctor to agree that it's ******* cancer.

Can anyone relate to this? It's so strange to me that every one of my psychologists and counselors can disagree with eachother to such a degree. I don't even know who to trust anymore.

Edit: This relates to alcohol for me because it's the thing I always seem to turn to, and clearly have a problem with. If I have no answers, I drink, even though I don't want to.
Hey DB, I have never had multiple different diagnosis as I have garden variety chronic depression. Your story is an excellent illustration of what a shot in the dark psychology is. Sigh.

When I look up information on depression, I find the results laughable. Humanity knows so little about mental illness.

I hope you keep trying different things and find something that at least alleviates the symptoms.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are a lot of gray areas in psyche. Much of it depends on behaviors and feelings.

For example: Some people get so depressed they can hardly get out of bed for the day, get dressed, eat something, take care of basic hygiene.

Many things can contribute to mental illness. Genetics, childhood abuse, stress, too much pressure. Physical illness can contribute to mental illness too.

It always astounds me when people criticize someone for being depressed because they are trying to get their life back, heal, and learn to walk again and do some basic things to take care of their selves; when they have a physical condition that getting them down. The mind and body are connected.

I strongly believe mental health has been gravely neglected.; by everyone, including some professionals.

The various symptoms a person has and the things they verbalize about are wide open for interpretation.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, Dx are important, but not as important as addressing behaviors. I know from many years of working with children, we do not treat diagnoses, we treat behaviors (and the same behaviors overlap with many different disorders). For instance, a therapist or teacher would provide interventions addressing a specific behavior, ie "difficulty initiating tasks". Whether the child has difficulty initiating tasks because he has ADD or because he has ASD, the same strategies may be used to treat that specific behavior. Also, people can be diagnosed with both ASD and ADD/ADHD, it isn't necessarily one or the other, although one is usually identified as a primary Dx depending on which behaviors are most prevalent or troubling.

I know that it's very frustrating getting different diagnoses, but try to focus on behaviors that are causing you difficulty and specifics ways that you can begin to modify those behaviors. If you can't sustain attention, or have racing thoughts, or (insert behavior that is interfering with your life), that's what needs to be the focus.

That said, there is often a sense of relief when someone does get a proper diagnosis. My son felt less like he was "just crazy" when he understood that he has ADHD and how that may manifest.

I hope you get the answers you seek and that either way, you can get some relief from any troubling behaviors you're experiencing. I hear you on the trust thing, too. I don't trust easily after many experiences myself.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know all about drinking and not wanting to. I was told all sorts of stuff for my physical pain and now it's fibromyalgia which is the right. The non narcotic medication is the only thing that eased the pain way down but how long will it work I don't know. I was told all sorts of stuff about my mental illness to finally get it right with schizoaffective bipolar disorder doing my best with bad gene everyday a challenge.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is absolutely mind blowingly frustrating when different doctors are saying completely different things. It can take a lot of trial and error for a doctor to fully diagnose what is going on. Certain disorders overlap when it comes to symptoms and sometimes the way we word things can lean towards one thing or another or the doctor might misinterpret something we say or do. It is all very subjective and can be frustrating and leave you wanting to pull out all your hair.

I really have no advice or words of wisdom, all I can say is you have to start somewhere. My doctor has known me for a veeeerrrrryyyyyyy long time and therefore he has a broader picture of what I am feeling and what symptoms I suffer from. I guess my advice would be to pick a doctor and stick with him or her so that you can start to create a relationship where the doctor can fully get to know you and see what is going on.