Class of September 2016 Part 3

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-20.html

D
Old 09-27-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by LastDrinks View Post
Wow, I didn't know Zappa was sober - he was probably one of the most creative musicians of all time and probably the most productive - I think only Slim Dusty has released more albums?
FZ chain smoked but yeah apart from that clean.
I see he has 119 albums, altho a good percentage of that are posthumous releases.

Slim apparently released 106. Johnny Cash 167. Elvis P. 313...

Everyone pales beside Nana Mouskouri 450...

http://blog.musicmagpie.co.uk/2015/0...e-most-albums/
D
Old 09-27-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A new thread already! That went quickly.

Thanks Dee
Old 09-27-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tuesday Night

Another alcohol-free night. It's amazing that I now have energy and motivation to exercise. I know it's helping.

I found out today I have to fly across country next week for business. I recall in past trips I'd try to find a hotel near a convenience store so I could tote back some beer to the room. A 12-pack and a rate of 4 a night was taking it easy. That's after a beer or two at the restaurant for dinner.

Now I pick a hotel near the beach. Don't care where the convenience store is.

Have a good night, everyone!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dingood View Post
Another alcohol-free night. It's amazing that I now have energy and motivation to exercise. I know it's helping
Well done on the booze free night And I want to resume my exercise regime too as well, so thanks for the inspiration
Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day# 16 tomorrow

My day started off with me feeling pretty crappy and moody indeed. But I managed to turn it around this afternoon and even get productive. But I missed a meeting. I've been missing several lately and that is not so good. I'm meeting with my sponsor and going to a meeting with her tomorrow though so that should get me back in the swing of things.

Right now I feel proud of myself for all of my efforts in recovery. I'm quite terrified of a relapse. One bad day of drinking and I could very well be put in jail with very little chance of bail. I do not plan on that happening and am working hard to prevent that.

I hope everyone has a good sleep (or morning) and I look forward to interacting with you all tomorrow
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastDrinks
Same here Tekink - struggling to get much work done still and feel very unmotivated and getting heavy cravings at least every hour. I find myself staring at my computer screen for long periods almost in a trance like a zombie. Honestly the first 4 days were much easier than now for me (with the help of daily detox program) - but ever since it has just gotten worse.

One thing I will say is that I am noticing how much cash I'm saving. Here in Australia alcohol is very expensive and my almost daily trips to the bottleshop and pubs is saving a truckload of cash. However this is being offset by my reduction in work productivity, for the time being anyways. I'd consider myself in the past as being a highly functioning drinker until after 15 or so drinks or so, where it would really help me get more work done.

I know a lot of people would disagree and say that alcohol just makes you feel like you are getting more done, but I really did get to a stage where if I had a creative block or couldn't figure something out, getting drunk would be the only way I could move forward. This is in itself is a dangerous habit, but is only a tiny proportion of all the problems my drinking caused.

I think in time it should get better, because relying on alcohol not only as an escape but to also be productive is an absolute joke.
Surprisingly I'm not really getting cravings this time around (yet) I did the first couple days but they died out considerably. My other attempts the cravings never left, even when I made it 28 days.

You are not kidding about the cost of booze in AU! I made a trip to Sydney and Cairns back in 2008 the exchange rate at that time was 1:1 with the USD and a 6 pack of Victoria Bitter was $20.00 when I was paying $6.00 back home for small batch craft beers! I could not afford to catch a buzz in Sydney. In Cairns drafts at the pub weren't bad, but Sydney made me wonder how working folks could even drink. Then again I have no idea what wages are like over there.

I'm fortunate I got to dive the Reef, that was amazing.

Day 15 wasn't too bad, I do have a headache today and I feel foggy but I haven't been so irritable which is a nice change. I don't expect to feel better right away and these days of feeling like crap really just reaffirm the fact that making the decision to never drink again, ever, is a great decision for me. My AV is easy to spot this time around.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How f+cked up I am to alone on my Birthday.

Oh man, I am losing it! Crying like a baby....I HATE this.

No kids, friends, - usually there is a count down to midnight.

nothing....me sitting at my desk typing

I got rid of ALL booze today knowing this was going to be something..not sure how I was going to react. Now I know

God it's going to be a rough night.

Snarly
Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay with SR, Snarly - plenty of support here
Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Caramel,

Thanks - and thanks for playing the song and house game ...that really helped me more than you know... I was pretending I was playing with my daughters.

Snarly
Old 09-27-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My brain is on a roll.

I know the reason I am sitting here alone is my fault.

I never denied that - nor did I make any effort to say that aloud to those that I have hurt.

My girls don't deserve this. Birthdays (anyones) are their absolute favorite thing. This must be tearing them apart, and my ex is the who will bear the full force of their reactions.

Worse, I can't reach out to them - they can't talk to me either (restraining order went both ways).

I don't hate my ex - she was the one pushed for divorce and even had one of my best friends move in...hence the drama that caused the court and child services to get involved.

I respect that she is a great mother and will do the best for the girls. But she really hates me.

Here's me venting - actually making me take a really hard and true look at my actions and just as important my inactions.

This is why I need to get sober.... I wouldn't be honest with myself drinking .

Thank God I came across this site. What a workshop the last 2 days have been. Truly

Thanks - for just being there in cyber ???? Anonymity at its best.

There is no one I could have talked to about any of this.

Just putting it in writing and then reading my posts with your all responses has allowed me to (over)analyse my actions and the depth of their consequences.

Snarly
Old 09-27-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had my share of alone birthdays Snarly - drunk and sober - at least the sober ones lead to me rebuilding my life.

you're on the right track, but all good things take time and effort - try not to be disheartened

D
Old 09-27-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Morning all

A new thread is great, thanks Dee.

Welcome to the class Mandosca.

I felt like a zombie for ages, in a trance , unsure and just out of sorts. It is very normal. If you think how long we drank then it takes more than a few days for the brain and body to re-calibrate. It's a very gradual thing which happens over time. Some days are worse than overs but generally each day gets a little better

Day 5 for me now and I still feel pretty out of sorts which just shows me how much damage I did on Friday night. I slept well for the first time last night though which helps. We will get there!

Good plan for your business trip dingood.

Glad you turned your day round windancer and congrats on 16 days. If you are afraid of relapse perhaps it might help to add something extra into the mix as well as meetings?

I was thinking of this last night - hopefully it might help someone. Apologies if you already have it. The biggest problem for me in early sobriety is the sudden cravings that come upon me after a few weeks and I;m not equipped to handle them. Not wishing to put a downer on anyone's success (or sound bossy ) here but it's critical to be prepared as they do and will happen. I read about urge surfing on here years ago and it really does work. Hope it's ok to link Dee

http://mymindfulnesspractice.com/urg...g-mindfulness/

mindfulness.org.au - Mindfulness Melbourne

Happy Birthday Snarly - At least you are sober. If its any consolation you have your SR family with you. The best thing you can do for you and your girls is stay sober. time does heal and bad memories fade. Relationships get repaired and our lives rebuilt in time. Hope you're ok.

Have a good day everyone
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living the life

Happy birthday Snarly
Old 09-28-2016, 12:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy Re-Birthday Snarly
Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy day of birth Snarly You aren't alone. You have us!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Snarly. Hopefully you can enjoy it best as possible, and if not, at least you won't have a rotten hangover tomorrow and can take confide you are moving forward to a much much better one next year.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done everyone, good to see we are all going strong heading into part 3 of the thread.

Just put an app in for a new house today. Decided with all these recent changes I need to move from the inner city where there is an abundance of alcohol venues and shops and instead go live on the beach. Found a place that is literally on the beach so am looking forward to ocean sunsets, bike rides and lots of fishing, with a bit of luck.

Everyone keeps going on about having a plan, and I think perhaps this might be the biggest part of mine. Will be nice to go for a walk along the beach of an evening instead of walking through a landmine of pubs, clubs and licquor stores. I never realised how many places here sell alcohol. There is literally over 40 within 10 minutes of my house. Crazy really.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Snarly!!! Woo hoo Part 3 before the month ended . Thanks Dee!
Old 09-28-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, Snarly!