Notices

Feel numb

Old 09-24-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feel numb

There won't be a lot of substance to this thread, but I just wanted to see if anyone can relate.

I've been having some sleep troubles in the past two weeks, which has left me either manic or too tired/depressed to do anything.

I got it under control about three days ago, though, and ever since, I've been having a problem. I feel perfectly rested. Not tired, not too awake. Not happy/manic, not sad/depressed. My mind is clear, but also blank. It's not wandering around in a frenzy like it normally does. It feels like my attention span is sharp. Like I could read a book all day. But I just don't want to. I don't want to do anything. That's normal for me, but, usually, it's accompanied by feelings of low self-esteem and worthlessness and other thoughts that flutter around my mind so fast that it almost keeps me busy.

But, no. No negative thoughts. No positive thoughts. Just no motivation. I don't want to do anything. I don't want to watch TV, browse the internet, anything. I just stare at walls. I feel numb. I almost wish I felt depressed or manic. Posting this is the most productive thing I've done in a few days.

Anyone ever experience this, or am I going crazy? Having the energy to do anything you want, but just not wanting to do anything? Even things you normally like to do, even if they're just a time waster? Not feeling happy, but not feeling sad? Just numb?
Old 09-24-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pirate,

sorry you are feeling this way. alcohol depress me pretty badly i am waiting till i have some substantial sober time to see if the depresion goes away if not i will see a doctor.

Have you consider seeeing a doctor or therapist to see if you can get a releve from the mood swims and the apathy?

keep posting and i am wishing you the best
Old 09-24-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sober. I've been seeing a therapist for five years now, but about a month ago, he quit and moved somewhere else. I have an appointment with a new therapist in a week. That's probably why I'm so confused about how I feel right now. I badly need to get in.

I also feel like I need to get some more sober days in me, too, before I can truly judge my mental state. Just thought this one was particularly odd, though, as I can't remember having it before.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PiratePrentice View Post
Thanks, Sober. I've been seeing a therapist for five years now, but about a month ago, he quit and moved somewhere else. I have an appointment with a new therapist in a week. That's probably why I'm so confused about how I feel right now. I badly need to get in.

I also feel like I need to get some more sober days in me, too, before I can truly judge my mental state. Just thought this one was particularly odd, though, as I can't remember having it before.
Hang in there if you are just recently sober. I've heard it takes sometimes 2 years for some parts of the brain to return to normal function.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people report a certain blankness, fogginess or anhedonia in early recovery.

For me, life seemed colourless for a while - I was just about convinced that that was the price I'd pay for sobriety when things changed around the 3 month mark and I felt joy and happiness again.

I severely underestimated the toll on my mind and body from years of drinking. It takes a little time for all that to start to heal.

They say in AA, don't leave before the miracle happens, and I think there's a certain folk wisdom in that

Hope you experience an upswing soon PiratePrentice.

D
Old 09-25-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's happening for a reason even though you don't understand just go with it without resistance. Probably emotional adjustments. It sounds like a good time to meditate.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll be honest- I don't think this is related to alcohol, or lack thereof. Sure, quitting can affect your mental state, but I think this is something completely different. I think it has more to do with my mood disorders. Wasn't looking at this from the angle of alcohol. Just mental health in general. Thanks for all the kind and helpful responses, though. Hopefully my new therapist can help me out.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Human

When you stop alcohol, all different areas of your brain - and body! - start perking back up or down at different times.
For what it's worth, I have diagnosed mood disorders and I just got out of two months of staring at walls with zero motivation to even leave my room, much less go outside and do anything. The contemplative moments I do have are generally "what is the point of life?" sort of paths. Been forcing myself to get outside, exercise, be more social lately. I believe that when "all in your head" meets discomfort at the cellular level, both sides get confused until your brain and body find some sort of new homeostasis.

Best wishes and good luck with the new therapist! Please keep us updated!