Notices

Alternative Therapy: A Cold Swim for Depression?

Old 09-16-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Alternative Therapy: A Cold Swim for Depression?

Just happened to tune into a programme on BBC 1 on Thursday evening.
A doctor experimented with alternatives to antibiotics, pain meds, antidepressants and even heart medication.

One of the therapies he came across, for depression, was swimming in very cold water.
This really interested me because I have been turning the tap on my shower to cold, at the end of every shower, for as long as I can remember.
Now I know why.
Seems the endorphins released in the brain and the skin sensations can help with depression.

Mentioned on the show is the fact that exercise is recognised by the NHS as an effective therapy for depression.
A few years ago, my psychiatrist allowed me to try exercise rather than putting me on another pill.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an important warning at the end of the programme:

You should not reduce or stop taking any
medication without consulting your doctor.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Doctor Who Gave Up Drugs
Episode 1
First of a two-part social experiment in which Dr Chris van Tulleken takes over part of a GP surgery and stops patients' prescription pills.

Link:
BBC iPlayer - The Doctor Who Gave Up Drugs - Episode 1

(only available to view on iPlayer for 30 days)
Apologies if you cannot access this show outside of the UK.
Perhaps someone can get around the restrictions?
Maybe YouTube will pick it up.

The next episode will have the bit about heart medication, which will also be of personal interest to me.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for this Dox. Anything is worth a try. Exercise usually helps me although when I need it the most, I have the hardest time doing it.

I will give cold showers a try!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll have to give it a try!

One of my alternative, unorthodox methods is sleep-deprivation. Obviously it's not great for your body, but if you're in a long, depressive episode and you only get a couple hours, if that, of sleep one night, I've found that my mind focuses more on trying to be alert and it forgets about the depression. Sleep-deprivation also makes me a bit manic, too, but only for that day. Then when you catch up on your sleep that night, it's almost like a reset button. This has worked countless times for me. Obviously don't do this unless you have a day you can set off to just sort of lay around and feel miserable (though not depressed). YMMV
Old 10-26-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just read an article on this during the weekend, seems that alcoholism wrecks the Vagus nerve that controls a whole bunch of stuff including mood, I don't have any links but give it a Google, I read immersing your face in ice water, accupuncture,stretches and breathing are great ways to stimulate the nerve, doctors are researching a stimulating implant too,very interesting subject