Notices

Nagging voices?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nagging voices?

There has been a lot going on with my family and job.

It seems as of lately as if my AV has been replaced with another voice. I do not hear voices but I have these intrusive thoughts. Often, I hear in my head little phrases such as "I hate my life right now" and "life is so useless".

This happens a lot when I am trying to sleep. I have depression right now (plus an anxiety disorder) for sure and wonder if anyone else thinks these random thoughts? I sound crazy. It makes it hard to sleep. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I feel a bit like that today bit lost out at sea feeling know you always have someone here to share it with

Have you tried nighttime meditation I try to forgive those thoughts x
Old 08-03-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Intrusive thoughts can be one of the symptoms of depression with anxiety.
I read a brilliant self help book before. And for intrusive thoughts that came before you went to sleep, you had to just concentrate on outside noises. I don't know if you live in a city, but lying in bed listening to the traffic outside used to take my mind off mine.
Also another technique, but I think this one was for repetitive thoughts, imagine a hole in top of your head opening up and the thoughts going round and round inside your head and up in a spiral and then out. The visualisation of this takes your mind off the thought. It worked for me anyway
Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

fripfrop: do you remember the name of that book? This is a strange thing. Even sitting here my brain is telling me to get up and take my empty coffee into the kitchen. It keeps nagging me. It won't stop until I do it. Very odd.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that sounds like bloody OCD I suffered from that all through my childhood until I was into my 20s. It's murder, the book is called "Self help for your nerves" by Dr Claire Weekes.
I found the Smart technique of "Stop thought" works well. You can actually stop yourself from thinking stuff you don't want to think, and think about something else with a little practice.
You don't have to be a slave to unwanted thoughts. You can control them. It feels very forced at first (probably because it is forced haha) But it gets easier and easier. OCD is also a reason for those intrusive, negative thoughts, a classic symptom of OCD they are!
My various OCD thoughts though the years have been overcome
Like once was an obsession before I went to sleep whether all the windows were locked, and I knew they were but had to check. Until I thought, Ive checked, they are thats it and wouldn't allow myself to think about windows again. Thought about my shopping list, about what food I had in the kitchen cupboards, picturing it all, thought about the route to work, imagined getting on the bus, looking out of the window, watching the shops and houses pass by. And the distraction would take away the obsessive thought.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Negative thinking often went hand in hand with the AV for me BBE.

Here are some tips and tools I found useful?

Challenging negative thinking | ReachOut.com Australia
Negative Self-Talk: 9 Ways To Silence Your Inner Critic
Challenging Negative Self-Talk | Psych Central
Positive thinking: Reduce stress by eliminating negative self-talk - Mayo Clinic
Change Your Inner Talk From Negative To Positive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=XYaqdRLHqq0

D
Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Meditation and gratitude often help me when those nagging voices are telling me that I am not worthy of all the best that life has to offer. To remember everything I've received and that I'm thankful for lifts me up and gives me hope for tomorrow, and those thoughts are forgotten.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post

I do not hear voices but I have these intrusive thoughts. Often, I hear in my head little phrases such as "I hate my life right now" and "life is so useless".
I think that we all are involved in a spiritual battle.
Church attendance has helped many.
M-Bob
Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get these unwanted or intrusive thoughts now and then ,can be a bit bothersome too . Having a bit of a down day today like brain fog feeling .

Claire Weekes has helped me often Fripflop , I have a good audio of her "pass through panic" that soothes me .

Hope you feel better soon behindblueyes

Thanks for the links Dee