Notices

Exploding Head Syndrome!

Old 06-25-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exploding Head Syndrome!

Currently I'm about three years off benzos,post a two year, taper, and an addiction of over 30 years.
One of the continuing after effects I still find annoying is 'exploding brain syndrome' a lesser form is called' hypnic jerk', The former involves waking to a very loud explosion, the latter usually as falling off, a sudden scary jerk. According to my readings both are harmless: just annoying.
My doctor harn't heard of them. Fortunately they don't occur too often and vary in intensity.
Any one experienced similar as a result of those rotten drugs?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I have experienced the hypnic jerks before, but cannot attribute them to the use of a med. Just disconcerting and frightening more than anything.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can relate to hypnic jerks I used to suffer really badly with a whole host of sleeping problems from intense nightmares that can mess with my head to sleep paralysis to sleepwalking

I often talk in my sleep and have woken up from fighting in my nightmares that still happens every now & then or dreams of my old school friends come up a lot

The subconscious mind is a heck of a thing my sleep is a bit better now I'm sober
Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
I can relate to hypnic jerks I used to suffer really badly with a whole host of sleeping problems from intense nightmares that can mess with my head to sleep paralysis to sleepwalking

I often talk in my sleep and have woken up from fighting in my nightmares that still happens every now & then or dreams of my old school friends come up a lot

The subconscious mind is a heck of a thing my sleep is a bit better now I'm sober
In this country the benzo sleeper stillnox: was connected to sleep walking in some cases. One of the few benzos, thank goodness, i never consumed.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have had hypnic jerks and occasionally the more dramatic exploding head syndrome for a long time. Have not had any of them recently and I have been on more increased anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. They certainly are disconcerting when they occur.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I suffer from Hypnic jerks. Very severe ones, but also not related to medication. I try to take melatonin as often as I can and also GABA. I used to also smoke marijuana (it is legal here in Colorado) before bed to ease it, but have decided to quit that with the alcohol for a clean break.