Administrator

Class of August 2013 - Part 16

Last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-15-a-20.html

D
Old 06-22-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee!

Holy buckets! Part 16! Do you know we haven't turned over a new thread since July 20, 2015?

I looked back at the first page of Part 15. It sure would be nice to hear from folks who were there when that thread started.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We should have a roll call, lol.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its heartening to see that there's still people from this class hanging tough. I see so many wrenching stories of relapse in other SR forums, so its good to see us persevering.

We're almost three years sober now
Old 06-28-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey newguy - good to see you
D
Old 06-28-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Newguy.

I live with what I'd call, for lack of a better term, a healthy fear of alcoholism these days. It is disheartening to see the prevalence of relapse on the newcomers forum. It reminds me that this disease is very patient, that there is something deeply embedded in my brain that cannot be eliminated, but it can be controlled.

It isn't what I'd call a difficult life, just a vigilant one.

SR means the world to me. There is so much support here. I hope that I am able to return to the support. Even writing out a message to another member helps me.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi newguy, good to hear from you. Looks like many of our class have moved on, hopefully in a healthy recovery.

Else, I'm thinking about you, and hope your situation is improving. At least the weather has warmed up.. yay! I'm loving it and getting out on the bike more. I love the sun!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy 4th of July everyone!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it's been a good one for you advbike
D
Old 07-05-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.. All good here at the moment.. and that's all we really have, isn't it?

Wishing you the best.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
It isn't what I'd call a difficult life, just a vigilant one.
Venecia, thanks for writing this.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi class.. lol.. hopefully everyone is doing well.

I'm having a nice summer in the Pacific Northwest, the weather having *finally* become nice and warm. The miserable gray and drizzly weather kept returning until a few days ago. No one can believe I sleep with a wool blanket, haha, but I apparently acclimated to SE Asia.

I'm still cleaning up my home and yard after almost two years of rental. This place is very high maintenance with multiple decks and a large yard. But also a quiet and private oasis, which I will miss. I'm completing a kitchen renovation and hope to sell it this fall or next spring, as I can't face anymore of these cleanups.. I will retreat to my place in the mountains when I'm permanently back in the States.

I also am back in a regular yoga practice, cycling a few days a week, attending AA meetings, and working on my 4th step. Definitely keeping busy, but plenty of time for contemplation and gratitude.

I hope you're all doing well and living in the moment.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Advbike - congratulations on the progress. I have just returned from a short time living in a Buddhist monastery. I think I scared my wife that I was going to remain there. It was enlightening to release my grip on technology. The feelings I developed through yoga and spiritual scripture is what I longed for in the bottle. I was also able to be of service to others suffering from various forms of addiction. This filled my heart brightly and demostrated how much work there is to do.

Yoga has and continues to be key part of my recovery. I have reached a point where I no longer feel my practice is mine. I borrow it long enough to get to where I am at and now it is time for me to give back. So I have begun to teach and creating retreats to combine yoga, mindful wholehearted living, music, and breathing workshops.

The past 6 months have been the most transformative for me in the almost 3 years of recovery. No surprise that big changes occurred when I finally gave up my will and handed it to my higher power that I choose to call God! I cannot wait to see what the next three will hold.

Good luck with the 4th. My 3year gift to myself was to redo my step work again...ego did not like this at all but I think it will be worthwhile to go back through again. I do love the Buddhist saying that we need to chop our own wood. Doing so will warm us twice! I say this in the context of focusing on my own inventory and not others.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

JD, that's an amazing journey you've been on. Really interesting and rewarding to hear about it. I think it's wonderful that you give back like that, and in fact you've always shared back what you learned. I have personally benefitted from it and try to share also.

The world has so much discord right now, driven by rampant egos, fear and selfishness.. we could use a lot more of what you have. I wish all the politicians had to do yoga together. Maybe they would gain some humility and peace of mind, and it would change that crazy thinking.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's August, fellow classmates. That means we will each be achieving 3 years of sobriety in the next 30 days. Congratulations all. I hope you are all doing well.

For me, the 3rd year of sobriety has been as transformative as each of the first two. I have become so much more ...... calm. At ease. Contemplative. Life seems so much easier without the constant anxiety, guilt and illness that alcohol gave me.

Anyway, I wish each of you many more years of good health and recovery. Well done, classmates. Well done.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to all you guys - awesome work
D
Old 08-02-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Firstymer - I have found much more peace in this third year. As I have found a spiritual fulfillment everything has changed. In my dharma I feel that I have found that first warm embrace of alcohol and drugs in the service to others. By serving others I am serving myself, as I now see us as connected.

Advbike - Thank you. I have found its easy to give our love to those that see the World in the same way we do. The more difficult challenge is to love those that hold a differing opinion. Can you find it in you to love those that suffer the most? Jesus was able to. To see everyone as connected has helped me with empathy and compassion. I might not agree with others but I can understand that if I had their collective experiences I would act the same. To take this a step further, can you have empathy and compassion for those that commit the worst atrocities? I am working on this but I must say I struggle with this and setting boundaries too. If you had a grisly bear charging you you don't start finding empathy and compassion for the animal because it has no consciousness, lol.

I can no longer eat meat, however. This has become one of the latest changes. Its all mental. It began with a pork chop on a flight back from London. I started to see the lamb and the meat became chewy and stringy and I began to gag. Then this occurred with steak and then hamburger meat and even chicken. There is nothing wrong with eating meat, just for me I cannot get the inhumane harvesting out of my mind and feel for the animals so I have chosen to become vegan. It took about two weeks of intense changes in my body and I must say I have so much more energy and my ability to lift into handstands and other arm balances is so much easier now as whatever excess fat has just shed off my body. I also don't have to worry about what I eat or how much since the caloric density is so much lower of veggies.

I will celebrate 3 years on the 27th of this month. I cannot help but think of Jerry Garcia today...what a long strange trip it has been.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I liked this Advbike and thought how fitting:

If we are to help heal the world, we need to remember that it is a sacred place. Our actions need to be positive statements, reminders that even in the worst times there is a world worth struggling for. We need to find ways to keep the vision alive, to acknowledge but not get caught in the dark side, to remember that even the worst aspects of suffering are only part of the whole picture. We need to enter lightly.

Entering lightly means not ignoring suffering but treating it gently. We don’t want to ignore another’s pain, but our becoming depressed or angry about it doesn’t relieve it and may increase it. The delicate balance is in allowing ourselves to feel the pain fully, to be sad or angry or hurt by it, but not be so weighted down by it that we are unable to act to relieve it. It is a matter of ends and means again: to create a caring, loving, peaceful world, we need to act with care and love and peace.

Easy to say, you may think, remembering your heavy hearts, tears, and anger when you first saw babies in Ethiopian refugee camps dying from malnutrition. But it is exactly at these times – in the presence of pain, injustice, and horror – that our equilibrium is most needed. How can we keep it? Meditation can help; singing or walking can help; talking with people we respect can help; simply being quiet with ourselves can help.

It is the continuing work of life: of learning to trust that the universe is unfolding exactly as it should, no matter how it looks to us; learning to appreciate that each of us has a part in nurturing this interconnectedness whole and healing it where it is torn; discovering what our individual contribution can be, then giving ourselves fully to it. Demanding as that sounds, it is what, in the spiritual sense, we are all here for, and compassionate action gives us yet one more opportunity to live it. It is an opportunity to cooperate with the universe, to be part of what the Chinese call the great river of the Tao. It is not a coincidence that Hanuman, who in the Hindu cosmology is called the “embodiment of selfless service,” is the son of the wind god; when we give ourselves into becoming fully who we are by doing fully what we do, we experience lightness, we are like kites in wind, we are on the side of the angels, we are entering lightly.

– Excerpt from Compassion in Action: Setting out on the Path of Service by Ram Dass & Mirabai Bush
Old 08-02-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hard to believe it's been nearly three years since this group came together, though I parachuted in when I joined SR in October, 2013.

It's an evolving life, isn't it?

I hope that some of our friends who've not check in in a while will stop by in August. This is a special month. And you are all special to me.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Three years of supporting each other. Thank you all for everything.
My life is so different now and it was this website, its forums, and its members that gave me the impetus to stop drinking.