Old 03-18-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you kindly Dee
Old 03-18-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cococo my girl how are you sugar
Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So class I just got back from an AA meeting and told then about my slip yesterday. The majority were glad to see that I picked myself and got back to sobriety . A couple gave me the AA. Speech... Slip isn't good blah blah blah..need to follow the Step programm..blah blah...and then your life will be full of joy and serenity blah blah blah.

Don't get me wrong because I like going to AA. Can't beat free group therapy but you will always get the odd ones who really think they are superior just because they have been sober for years. They need to get their stick out of their bottom.

Sorry Dee for being rude.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got a few numbers tonight from men and women so my toolkit is getting stronger.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im GOOD thank you knb. How are you feeling.

I can imagine what your AA group said. Ive never even been to an AA meeting, but I can picture it all the same. At the end of the day knb, you know it was a slip and only a slip, it was not good, but its not the end of the world or your journey either. Don't allow anybody to put pressure or guilt on you. And you take whose phone numbers you want. Whatever you need. There are some seriously hard out AA people out there who literally live and breathe the AA 'bible', but like anything, it shouldn't be obsessed over and taken to the ninth degree, to the extreme of extreme.

My 'sponsor' told me that I lose my child. I got quite upset. When I told my ex (childs father) he cracked up laughing actually and questioned what planet she was on and what right she had to say that to somebody she had never met and only spoken to once for 5 minutes. It was WAY over the top. Ive never been that bad an alcoholic to even come close to losing my child. Not even close.

I phoned her back and told her so too, in the nicest possible way of course. But I did make it clear that she had no right to say that to me.

Last edited by Paix Amour; 03-18-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: would
Old 03-18-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
So class I just got back from an AA meeting and told then about my slip yesterday. The majority were glad to see that I picked myself and got back to sobriety . A couple gave me the AA. Speech... Slip isn't good blah blah blah..need to follow the Step programm..blah blah...and then your life will be full of joy and serenity blah blah blah.

Don't get me wrong because I like going to AA. Can't beat free group therapy but you will always get the odd ones who really think they are superior just because they have been sober for years. They need to get their stick out of their bottom.

Sorry Dee for being rude.
Wow that's how you really feel? Why go then? This thread is really going downhill. Is it the semi sober group now? I don't get it. Maybe suggestions by ppl with years of sobriety might help. Call me crazy!!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jobei View Post
Wow that's how you really feel? Why go then? This thread is really going downhill. Is it the semi sober group now? I don't get it. Maybe suggestions by ppl with years of sobriety might help. Call me crazy!!
Its not going downhill Jobei

In all fairness Jobei, I think knb was trying to express that perhaps she feels that some at her AA meeting are a bit overly and unnecessarily strict/hard nosed/extreme. She had a small slip and some AA'ers would think that's completely unacceptable and should never happen and would really grill her over it. Sure, a slip is not good, she knows that. But to be flame grilled for it - not good, not necessary.

Im not long term sober Jobei, and neither is knb, thanks for pointing that out. But that's my opinion all the same.

Perhaps Dee and Venuscat can comment....
Old 03-18-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The stakes are extremely high and the success rate low. Maybe these ppl have seen a few things in their time that has made them "unnecessarily strict/hard nosed." when it comes to relapses? If it's all blah blah why bother with it? That's what I don't understand Cococo.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Im GOOD thank you knb. How are you feeling.

I can imagine what your AA group said. Ive never even been to an AA meeting, but I can picture it all the same. At the end of the day knb, you know it was a slip and only a slip, it was not good, but its not the end of the world or your journey either. Don't allow anybody to put pressure or guilt on you. And you take whose phone numbers you want. Whatever you need. There are some seriously hard out AA people out there who literally live and breathe the AA 'bible', but like anything, it shouldn't be obsessed over and taken to the ninth degree, to the extreme of extreme.

My 'sponsor' told me that I lose my child. I got quite upset. When I told my ex (childs father) he cracked up laughing actually and questioned what planet she was on and what right she had to say that to somebody she had never met and only spoken to once for 5 minutes. It was WAY over the top. Ive never been that bad an alcoholic to even come close to losing my child. Not even close.

I phoned her back and told her so too, in the nicest possible way of course. But I did make it clear that she had no right to say that to me.
Cococo I don't give a monkeys what they think cause everyone has a different path to recovery. I slipped but it doesn't mean I am not serious about my sobriety. It's not a competition that's for sure. Anyway I wanted to ask them why do some people who have lived and breathed the Step program for years suddenly relapse. But I didn't cause I don't care. Aa program isn't foolproof either.

What did she mean by lost your child?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The stakes are extremely high and the success rate low. Maybe these ppl have seen a few things in their time that has made them "unnecessarily strict/hard nosed." when it comes to relapses? If it's all blah blah why bother with it? That's what I don't understand Cococo.
I do understand where you are coming from, I do. Youre right, I guess they see it black OR white, no shades of grey with them. You either DO it or DONT. You either drink or you dont. Youre right the stakes are extremely high and the success rate low....hmmmm....I understand where you are coming from.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jobei you are reading me wrong. When I shared I explained that I wasn't proud of what I had done and I knew I was doing something very dangerous. I said I had a lucky escape and that I need to use it as a lesson on what I need to improve on so it doesn't happen again. I said I was grateful to be sober and was happy to be around like minded people as I need more help than before. I also shared that I need to get more numbers and find a sponsor who is more available.

And then I get a few saying it was wrong that I drank. Sorry but that isn't helpful advice
Old 03-18-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

She said "I WOULD lose my child" as in, the courts and child protection services WOULD legally remove him from my care and put him in his father's care! Or my ex will file for full custody. Completely mad comment right there! I don't respond well to completely bizarre comments like that thanks very much. My son has a great life and has never been put in danger EVER! And his father doesn't have ANY concerns about him in my care, and yes, he is fully aware of my drinking, the amount, and when.

And when I say that I had only ever spoken to this woman for 5 minutes ONCE over the phone, and never met her, Im not exaggerating. Our one and only conversation was for 5 minutes literally. Within the first minute of that conversation she said IF I don't stop drinking then my ex will file for full custody! WOW. She didn't know anything about how long Ive drunk for, how much I drink, when I drink etc etc etc. I was a VERY BIZARRE comment to make within the first minute of a first conversation with somebody.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

These two people just like the sound of their own voice. They said nothing constructive to a new comer like me. Just reciting AA linger over and over and over again
Old 03-18-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

They weren't suggestions. They were putting me down with their arrogance. I wasn't expecting sympathy but empathy would have helped

Just my two cents on it.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do understand where you are coming from, I do. Youre right, I guess they see it black OR white, no shades of grey with them. You either DO it or DONT. You either drink or you dont. Youre right the stakes are extremely high and the success rate low....hmmmm....I understand where you are coming from.
It's just how I feel and it was in my head so I had to get it out. I do not intend to offend anyone and I am sorry if offense was taken.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

She said "I WOULD lose my child" as in, the courts and child protection services WOULD legally remove him from my care and put him in his father's care! Or my ex will file for full custody. Completely mad comment right there! I don't respond well to completely bizarre comments like that thanks very much. My son has a great life and has never been put in danger EVER! And his father doesn't have ANY concerns about him in my care, and yes, he is fully aware of my drinking, the amount, and when.
Scaremongering. I posted before that a previous AA member once asked me if I was going to a Friday meeting. I told her no because I was invited to a birthday meal. She replied with "good luck it's your life. You are gonna die ". Lol. What a thing to say
Old 03-18-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
They weren't suggestions. They were putting me down with their arrogance. I wasn't expecting sympathy but empathy would have helped

Just my two cents on it.
If they were insulting you that is certainly different. Doesn't sound like a very good group.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sometimes people can be over zealous when they are trying to help.
The great thing about AA is that we can "take what we need and leave the rest".
The program has worked for a lot of people, but just like all things, there are going to be people we don't necessarily like.

I let that sort of thing put me off AA years ago when I really would have benefited by staying. The thing to do is try different meetings I think. If that is possible for you knb.

You are doing really well! This isn't easy, and a slip can make us more committed than ever to stay sober.

I think you are all doing so well guys!! ♥
Old 03-18-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 44 and I want more.