Notices

Should I sue ? (uk nhs)

Old 03-04-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Should I sue ? (uk nhs)

Hello all,

I will get straight to the point, during my last admission I was asked if I wanted to allow them to try me on a different drug, and like a complete fool and idiot I agreed.

I then started to have thoughts that i dont want to mention, then I started to have full body shakes, convulsions and was constantly poking my tongue out and sweating.

First night I was on my bed in a dorm and the patient next to me was so concerned he got a nurse, she immediately pressed the emergency alarm. Another nurse and "on shift" dr arrived, they looked at me with a torch and simply said "your fine", I told them I was on the wrong meds and needed valium (diazepam) to calm me down. They blatantly ignored me.

I was like this for about 4 days, but I fought it like crazy and managed to control it to an extent during the days, but at night it was horrific.

Eventually it subsided and they agreed to put me back on previous meds at my request.

Ok, so I did agree to try the new med, but that does not mean I agreed to be completely ignored when I needed help whilst under their care in a mental health unit.

Am I wasting my time though, because all they have to say is "patient was paranoid and is making the whole story up".

Any thoughts ?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im sorry for what you went through! How traumatic! Get in touch with a group called PALS. I would also see a solicitor for advice. I live in the UK too so I know you will get a free consultation with one.

Good luck hun xxx
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

I'm not sure that a lawsuit is the answer.

But, by all means, follow the PALS complaints procedures,
If and when you feel up to it.

I have known people at the unit management level in the NHS.
They do take complaints from patients and loved ones seriously;
even if it is for no other reason than avoiding complaints in future.
That is seldom the only reason: we are talking about a caring profession.

You have the right to complain and a right to have your complaints answered.

You may not get the answers that you would like, but you have a right to be heard.

You may even improve things for the next patient in the position that you unfortunately found yourself.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To answer your question, no.