Notices

Racing thoughts

Old 03-03-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Racing thoughts

I tried melatonin and anxiety meds but my mind just wont stop thinking at night.
I feel even more depressed than I did when I started. Some days are good, i get good sleep but most of the time, not so much. I just cant calm down. I want to just relax.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It's something I continue to struggle with. I've tried melatonin too. Sometimes a glass of hot tea or warm milk before bed helps. I exercise late in the day so muscular tension adds to keeping me awake. Meditations and prayer or just reading a book can do wonders.

Keep trying different things. Eventually you'll find what works for you, but keep in mind you might have to change up your methods and routine too.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm at my wit's end with sleep; trying to get to sleep, trying to stay asleep, etc. I've tried all kinds of prescribed meds & taken them as instructed. Some of them work, but only for maybe three days at the most. Same for the herbal drugs too. Then it's back to square one: sleep for 2 hrs straight, wake up for an hour, get another hour's sleep, wake up for an hour, & repeat. On GOOD nights, I'm lucky to get 4 - 5 hours of sleep at the most. I need to be up for work by 3:30 a.m., so I go to bed early. For a couple of hours before I try to sleep, I only have on a tiny light. TV goes off an hour before. I try to make sure I watch something spiritual last. Room is cool & comfortable; house is pretty quiet, dog is next to me. Cell phone is unplugged & downstairs. I can't meditate because my mind won't shut up long enough so I can stay still. Drinking milk before bed will only make me want to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I've also tried reading in bed, but that hasn't worked yet either. Last night, someone's car alarm on my street went off at 2:30 a.m. & I've been up since. If anyone out there has any other ideas for me to try, I'm all ears. This is getting really old really fast. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Has it got anything to do with having to start work at 3:30am? Have you been working those hours for a long time or new to it? Shift workers do have sleep problems I've heard.

Have you been to a sleep clinic for testing?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try this short meditation. It may not guarantee sleep, however I KNOW personally it WILL produce some calm and peace and Good Orderly Direction.

Click this link - Stories of Recovery

Go to Juanita U - A Guided Meditation from Steps 10 & 11

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 03-20-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm supposed to get up 3:30 or 4 a.m. because I have 1 1/2 hr commute each way to work. I don't technically start until 7 a.m., but I'm a single parent & have things to do before I leave (feed, let in & out 2 cats & 2 dogs, take shower, etc) each day. When I get into work early, I use the time to walk a couple of miles inside (it's still dark out) to burn off stress & get a little exercise. I get out 3:30, hit more traffic, then have to take care of my 89 yr old uncle on the way home. Then I make supper, make lunch for work, take care of my son, the house, blah, blah, blah. I've been on these hrs for over 15 yrs. My problem is, I'm up 2 - 3 hrs after falling asleep to go to the bathroom (I stop drinking anything after 7 p.m.), then it's downhill from there. If I'm lucky, I'll fit a couple of more in. I WILL try the meditation suggested & hopefully that works. Thanks to all for the quick replies! WOW!!!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back BigRed

D
Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi BigRed,

I don't have any suggestions on getting better sleep and can only think of a sleep clinic to discuss with a professional.

Your day to day work schedule looks really stressful maybe look at possible connections there?

I wish you the best.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
You do have a lot going on, BigRed, so maybe it's anxiety related. I don't have any suggestions either other than a sleep study.

I've been finding lately that exercise really helps me sleep. An afternoon/evening bike ride and/or sit-ups gives me a decent nights sleep. I am always up a few times for the restroom though.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigRed57 View Post
I'm at my wit's end with sleep; trying to get to sleep, trying to stay asleep, etc. I've tried all kinds of prescribed meds & taken them as instructed. Some of them work, but only for maybe three days at the most. Same for the herbal drugs too. Then it's back to square one: sleep for 2 hrs straight, wake up for an hour, get another hour's sleep, wake up for an hour, & repeat. On GOOD nights, I'm lucky to get 4 - 5 hours of sleep at the most. I need to be up for work by 3:30 a.m., so I go to bed early. For a couple of hours before I try to sleep, I only have on a tiny light. TV goes off an hour before. I try to make sure I watch something spiritual last. Room is cool & comfortable; house is pretty quiet, dog is next to me. Cell phone is unplugged & downstairs. I can't meditate because my mind won't shut up long enough so I can stay still. Drinking milk before bed will only make me want to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I've also tried reading in bed, but that hasn't worked yet either. Last night, someone's car alarm on my street went off at 2:30 a.m. & I've been up since. If anyone out there has any other ideas for me to try, I'm all ears. This is getting really old really fast. Thank you!
I feel your pain. I have the same problem. My racing thoughts and paranoia is more severe at night for some reason. I can be up for 2 days straight and still have problems falling asleep