Administrator

Class of October 2015 Part 6

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-20.html

D
Old 02-27-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dee, thanks for the new thread

Grizzly, sounds like you and your son had some good discussions yesterday. Tough choices, but he sounds like a very mature 12 year old to be able to look at all the decisions and understand that there are sacrifices with every decision you make. I hope the house search goes well this weekend - keep us posted!

How did you like the Good Dinosaur? I loved it. I saw it with my 14 yr old and we both loved it. Great movie.

Yesterday after I got home from work I was just tired - so tired. More tired than I've ever been. So aside from getting dinner for the kids and taking care of them, I just rested. I finished my book - the Girl on the Train - it was good but kind of a contrived ending. I could sense the big plot twist a mile coming. The next book I'm reading is called - Unwasted - my Lush Sobriety. I wanted to switch to an alcohol related book this time. Will let you know how it is!

So since I rested so much last night (maybe I'm fighting a cold?) I hope to have a great productive day today. Have to catch up on some work, get on the treadmill and a couple of appointments for my kids. The weather looks good today so that will help.

Yeah, Saturday!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey all,thanks for kicken us off Dee😊 Juno,I can't read alcohol related books,even the positive outcome ones,I know it helps a lot of peeps to read them,watch documentaries, etc,but for me it just focuses my mind too much on alcohol, I think I'm an exception to the rule though,Grizz,whatcha got planned today? I'm dreading going to work, the more sober I am wakes me up to how much I hate that shop! Hope we all have a wonderful Saturday😊
Old 02-27-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Winslow, I hope you had a good day at work!
Juno, the Good Dinosaur was cute : ) Have you heard of Eddie the Eagle? It just came out, and it's about this kid who wants to be an Olympian, so he decides to do Alpine jumping. It reminds me of the movie Cool Runnings which I loved. I want to see Eddie the Eagle soon.
Wow, I'm tired. We went hiking! The hike was hot, high, and hard. Supposedly it was one of the beginners trails. Clearly I'm not ready for Mount Everest yet. It was so much fun! The view was beautiful. We absolutely loved it. I was thinking while we were up there I could not do this with a hangover. I would pass out. I think we're on to something here. We enjoyed it so much that we definitely want to keep doing it.
We looked at houses afterwards, and that went really well. Then we walked the cat. I cleaned up around the house a little, now I'm going to get Pizza Hut. I think the only thing I haven't done today is take a shower. I hope everyone had a great saturday!!
Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grizzly - Eddie the Eagle looks good! I would like to see it, too.

Great that you had a nice hike. So good for you mentally and physically, right? Yes, re: hangovers, life is sooooo much better without hangovers. I can't think of anything that feels so bad, really. I can sometimes really feel it and remember it and I suppose that's a good thing. I have to remember how bad it feels.

So I had a good day but I tried on some clothes tonight and I'm so upset with my body at the moment. The winter weight gain has been horrible. I've got to do something - I need to lose about 6-8 pounds and I don't know how to do it. I'm awful at counting calories, etc. so thinking of doing something like Nutrisystem where someone works it out for me. I did go on the treadmill today, but lately I've been too tired to run or exercise after work. It's like if I don't do it early I give up. So I just wanted to get this off my chest. Being on a real diet also means no alcohol - so they can go hand in hand. I just need to start taking things seriously again - weighing myself everyday and having a plan to get in shape. But I will have to wait a week because we're supposed to go to Orlando on Thursday. You can't start a big Nutrisystem diet and then go to Orlando, right? I have a week to think about what I'm going to do, but something has to be done!

Everything's good on the not drinking front. Not exactly sure what day I'm on but double digits should be soon Not going backwards anymore!
Old 02-28-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's so quiet here!!! I guess I'll post again

I'm having a low energy day. Sundays kind of have that vibe for me. In the past, I used that as a reason to drink. I don't like blank open spaces with no life and nothing much going on. So although the idea of drinking wine tonight entered my mind, I rejected it as a viable option for spicing up my life tonight. I don't need that kind of spicing up

It was a beautiful day today and I'm sad my kids were so low energy. I tend to absorb the moods of those around me. And my daughter was in a foul mood. So I can't even be near her right now. My son did a naughty thing last night (flushed a balloon down the toilet nearly clogging up the pipes) and I was furious at him this morning, but we got over it and I managed to get the toilet flushing again. My other son was okay - fairly low energy as well. My dog even didn't feel well today. Yikes! So I'm going to be fine - no drinking - I'll have something to eat soon and get to Monday sober. Day 10 today so double digits and no turning back.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you have a good week Juno

D
Old 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey all,Juno,I think Sundays are just kinda glum anyways,even when they're great I still get a bummed feeling cuz back to work tomorrow, glad you got the toilet unclogged, surprised that a balloon could cause a problem,I swore I checked in this morning but I guess not,working hard to squeeze in exercise everyday and days off its harder cuz I tend to sleep later,Grizz,hope you're having a nice day, been really warm here,you guys probably about the same,off to try to get g-son down,(hate saying "grandson" cuz it makes me feel oldhaha)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Winslow, it is warm here. It has been so nice lately!
I'm tired today too. Usually on Saturdays I don't do much and Sunday I'm super productive getting everything ready for the week. This weekend was the opposite. Yesterday wore me out, and today I am moving slow. I took some generic cold medicine at two in the morning for a sore throat I've had, and it's like today I just can't shake it off. I won't be taking that again.
Juno, glad you were able to fix the toilet! My son told me last week a kid stuck a k'nex piece onto the end of the hot glue gun, and now the glue gun won't work anymore, and the teacher got really mad about it. I laughed so hard about that. Partially because I'm not fond of that teacher, his level of anger usually goes way beyond what seems appropriate, and partially because the things kids think to do never even occur to me.
I'm trying to muster up the energy for a brief treadmill run. I've also got to help my kiddo with a recipe he has to present on Tuesday. We have to do it tonight because I would be so stressed trying to get it done tomorrow night. Wednesday is my chemical peel!! They are going to put acid on my face, it's a rough recovery, and I'm going to look pretty terrible for a little while, but I am so excited!!!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee!

Winslow, it was a large plastic helium balloon for my Mom's birthday - my son popped it after her birthday was over and thought it would fun to flush it down the toilet. I guess I'm lucky it just caused minor clogging and not major plumbing damage! I agree - Sundays are kind of glum and low energy. I always do better on Mondays because it's like, "I'm back in the swing - see it's not so bad." I can't believe how many Sunday nights I drank wine because of that glum feeling. Made for the start of the week so much worse!

That's a funny story about the hot glue gun, Grizzly. Kids are funny.

I couldn't get myself on the treadmill today. I had so much else to do - bills, paperwork, real work, laundry, etc. There wasn't enough left in the tank for the treadmill besides the fact that I took my dog for 2 long walks. Oh well, going to try for yoga tomorrow.

Chemical peel - sounds cool! Let us know how it goes

It's going to be a busy week here because we're scheduled for a mini-vaca on Thursday. Universal Studios in Orlando. I'm trying not to get excited yet because it's really been day to day here with everything that's been going on not the least of which is my daugther's sickness. So if all goes well, I'll start packing on Wednesday
Old 02-29-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey guys - Day 11 here. That's significant because I sort of have a built in mechanism to fail (i.e. drink) every 10 days. I can sort of easily get to 9 days without drinking, but by 10 I have a mental or physical block. This explains why the idea of drinking entered my mind last night. I'm so glad I didn't give into that cycle and just got to Day 11 - without a hangover on a Monday morning. Phew. Now I can push forward and get to where I want to be.

Have a great Monday.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey all,Juno,I felt a similar feeling on day 60 as I could get 30,45,58 but never 60,after I hit that I felt that.I broke the relapse pattern and could finally stick to this😊 feeling odd this morning, maybe just Monday meh feeling, I'm really trying to only focus on positive attitude and thoughts,I'm the only one responsible for me and my thoughts,feelings, actions, etc,like Grizz posted in the last part,its time I step my game up in life, I've been avoiding doing a whole lot of stuff out of fear,if iI know I'm not gonna drink why do I still have so much fear? I'm just getting overwhelmed with life,Vegas seems to be getting more violent,my job seems to be attracting more weirdos,grrr,hope we all have a great Monday😊
Old 02-29-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Juno, I'm so glad you didn't drink!! Way to go!! That is awesome : ) I'm so proud of you! I'm trying not to get excited about your upcoming trip because you're trying not to get excited, but it's exciting!
Winslow, I hope you had a good Monday! Isn't it great when we finally feel like we have some traction in sobriety?! The wonderful thing about uncharted territory is that's when real growth starts to happen. I'll never know what I can be if I don't get out of my comfort zone. It definitely can be scary, but it's exciting at the same time.
It's been a busy day but a good one. Something happened today that made me notice a big change in my attitude. A trainee appraiser called me today to ask if she thought my mentor would be willing to mentor her too. I can't answer that, but I really am hopeful that she will come to work for us. In my drinking days, I would get defensive and paranoid. Is she going to be better than I am? Is she going to replace me? What if they like her more than me? I had so much insecurity. Now I am pulling for her to come work for us. I am confident in my abilities and do not feel threatened. That's a big change. Ok, it's 8:30 at night here, and I still have to make dinner. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hope everyone had a good day - I'll check in tonight because I know it will be too hectic in the morning and I don't want you to worry about me

My son has a school visit in the morning to a potential new high school (for next year) so I have to get up really early and I know it's going to be busy.

I also had wine cravings tonight, which really sucked - but I didn't drink which is great. I was fine until I got home from work and everything hit me at once and all I could think was "white wine." I just went ahead and worked through the craving and made some dinner and of course it went away. I think my AV is mad that I'm not giving in around Day 10 this time. Hopefully this will go away soon.

Next week after the trip I will start with yoga seriously again - I'm so looking forward to that. In the meantime, have to get through this crazy week and hopefully to Orlando soon. One day at a time.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey guys,just a quick hello will post more later,have a terrific Tuesday😊
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Winslow and Grizzly, hope your Tuesday was a good one.

Good news/bad news kind of day:

- Bad news: I'm exhausted! My son kept me up late last night and I didn't get enough sleep. Busy, busy day with early start and son's school visit, several hours in the office, therapy appointment with daughter (but a good one), and long phone call with therapeutic boarding school. Tired!

- Good news: no wine cravings. Good. Just kind of realized that.

Getting through the week. If we get to Orlando on Thursday it will be a miracle! Haven't even had time to think about packing. I know it will be worth it, but going on a trip is so much work and adds so much stress to the normal week!!

Okay, deep breaths. Everything is going to work out.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi winslow!
Yep, juno, everything is going to work out!
I had some crazy thinking today. I've heard a lot lately about how you can get any pharmaceuticals you want from mexico. I live only 20 miles away from mexico. I've not thought about going across the boarder to get anything, but today when I heard that again, I started concocting a plan to go get pills. In mexico! Pills were my downfall. It lead me to do things I never imagined I would do, and I was lucky to get out of that addiction with my life and custody of my son intact. But for about a half hour today it sounded like a really good idea. I can't even begin to list all the reasons why a little blond girl going to Mexico alone for drugs is a bad idea!! Fortunately I got wrapped up in work, and by the time I was going home today, I was thinking that is just nuts. Ugh, crazy where my thinking will go sometimes. All rational thought can go completely out the window. Fortunately if I don't act on, that thinking passes and I come back to my senses. It kind of scared me today to see that side of me come back.
Good news: the recipe my son and I made Sunday night was a huge hit! Thank goodness because we were up until 11 that night working on that. I asked if he got extra credit for it being everybody's favorite. He said no. But we got a lot of satisfaction from that going over so well!
Old 03-01-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm glad you didn't go to Mexico, Grizzly!!! That's some scary thinking. It' s amazing the dark places our minds can go. Great job on the project with your son! I'm off to do some homework with mine
Old 03-01-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Phew I'm glad you re-considered Griz

D
Old 03-01-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee and Juno!! : )
That is just nuts, completely irrational thinking. And totally my AV talking. It put up a good fight for a little while there, but sober me fought harder. When I typed that earlier, I was thinking yall might think I'm crazy for thinking that, but I wanted to tell on myself. Thank you for supporting me instead of calling me crazy : )