# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of April 2015 Part 10

The last part:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-9-a-25.html
Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I feel the same way Cauli! I'm pretty sure that's a good thing!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for the new thread Anna

D
Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, thanks for the new thread!

I think not counting time like a hawk anymore is definitely a good sign! Means we're relaxing into this!
Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Man..I know you know. This is for me as much as anyone. We can let up on the peddle, but we can't ever take the foot off the gas.

On that front..I have a proposal.
What do you say we post every day from now till at least through April as we all hit 1yr?

We post with a minimum requirement of posting days sober. Even if it's just that.

Kind of a booster shot you might say.

Whose in?
Old 02-26-2016, 12:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll give it a go, Inc. Most of us would probably agree that sobriety is among the most valuable, if not is the most valuable thing we own. In that regard, it's got to be worth a couple of minutes every day!!!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It's funny that I think we are all pretty much at the point that we don't jump out of bed and think," I will be fighting every hour of the day today to stay sober." I actually am evolving into a life where alcohol is no longer an overriding thought and I now expect to live a life without drinking again. Do I occasionally think that a glass of wine or bottle of beer would taste good now? I still get these thoughts, especially after a hectic day of work, but I quickly run through the scenarios in my mind of what would happen if I actually did pick up a drink. None of these end well in my mind and I move on. I think that is part of what Dee calls the sober toolbox. Without realizing it, we have all developed coping skills to deal with thoughts of drinking. I usually don't even consciously realize that I am using these tools 90% of the time.

I think the fact that none of us post as frequently as we did in the earlier days is reflective of the huge personal growth we have all made. I do read SR each day, even if briefly, to help stay grounded. Reading the newcomer's threads, or even the earlier days of this thread, remind me of the dangers that lurk behind that glass or bottle.

I am enjoying an inner peace that I haven't felt probably since I was a kid. Bad things still happen (broken water shutoff to my toilet today, for example) but I can rationally and calmly deal with things instead of flying off the handle and pounding drinks. I still get depressed, but this now lasts for a day or so, not week after week, month after month. The benefits of not drinking have been so incredible, that I can't imagine tempting fate by having even one drink.

That's not to say the AV is not still inside us, waiting to reassert itself as ruler of our lives. I am certainly not naive, and Inc brings up a valid point that none of us can take our foot off of the gas. We all have to keep our eyes squarely on the road ahead of us. We may be cruising along the highway at a good clip, but a deer still can jump out in front of you without notice.

What we have done here over the past ten months has been amazing. Just look back at all the folks who initially started in this thread and no longer are here. Be proud, but always be mindful!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nicely stated. As always.

Got another job interview set up on 3/7. This is for a career field change. Well...sorta. This is for a claims adjuster trainee job.

I'm almost drooling at the opportunity. I would love nothing more than a career change. One where I would immerse myself and master.

It would be a corporate environment, which I have never done. I'd be crammed into a cubicle. But I've never been so excited for even the possibility to be crammed into a cube and have to deal with office politics.

I can't get too far ahead of myself though.

Quit is on. None for me today.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
OMD

I hated who I was. Am I now perfect? Lol at that idea, but I and my family are infinitely better off since I stopped drinking. There is no one in our group who is not better off. So why would we start drinking again? Not for any rational reason, is the answer. So can we guard against that? Who knows, we are all human and therefore complex, but we all know what we really want, which is why we are still here. I am happy to post every day if that would help anyone in our group. I do check in every day even if I don't post.

So where do we go from here? I actually think that's the wrong question. We are already here! No need to wait before getting on with the rest of our lives. Nothing will be different when we hit a year, or whatever. The freedom is incredible. It really is. Just recognise it, in case you forgot. Embrace it and just live the dream that you had so many times when you said I wish I didn't drink. Whatever it takes for you to remember that, just remember. And clearly. Maybe a bad incident, maybe drinking instead of being with your kids, missing some important thing, whatever. That's your metric, your yardstick. Judge yourself against what you were, not the number of months you are sober, for this IS you. You are not a product of those days. Those days are just a number. You are already sober and will remain so.

I am in this for good. And I hope you all are too because there is no reason not to be. Days were something we checked off as we marveled at our ability to stay off the booze, after we had hit our personal rock bottom, perhaps not even for the first time. Now we know we can do days and months. No need to marvel at adding another day, although no reason not to celebrate sobriety each day, in your own way, if you wish. But live in the moment.

You know, we really are a good group of good people.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 02-27-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amen OMD!

I quit with you today.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good luck with the job interviews Inc! I have never had a sit down or office job in my life. Starting to regret that at my age now.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nice posts, guys! I'm always on here and the one year and under group though I don't always post. Will do here from now on though!!!

Have a great day!
Old 02-27-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
OMD

And I quit with you, Inc!

You know what SG - I have a sit down job but sitting down is not good for me so I have a standing desk. So I have a stand up sit down job

Have a great weekend guys!

OMD
Old 02-28-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sunday morning here in Andalucia. One of those rainy weekends with a biting wind off the Atlantic so it's a good weekend to kick around the house.

A bit of a strange one for me. With plenty of time on my hands my mind has strayed to the booze a couple of times and AV posed the old "So, really, what would seriously happen if... " question. Not buying!!

Also had a vivid dream in which I ended up buckling to social pressure and downing a shot of rum just so people would leave me alone.

I feel confident about closing all this out. We've been through much worse after all! Just that little reminder that you get from time to time that it is still there!

On the other hand, I picked up my stratocaster for the first time in months and took some pleasure in jamming along to some blues and funk backing tracks. It was good to play again. Something I've not really done since the first months of sobriety after I chucked in the band. The old skills are still there but I have no inclination to get involved in any projects. Just picking up the guitar has been quite a step though. Nice be able to do that.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
OMD

Nice one Amp. You're bound to think about boozing. Would be weird if you didn't after all that time. Picking up the guitar sounds enjoyable

Right, best get my chores done.

OMD
Old 02-28-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Beautiful 60*F day here , very rare in this neck of the woods in February. Used to be a great excuse to drink, celebrating the weather. Instead, I'll be in a grocery store for the next ten hours. Good to not be drinking. Happy weekends to all!
Old 02-29-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yesterday we took a trip a couple of hours down the coast to visit some friends who have just had a baby. When I was drinking I wouldn't have enjoyed the day at all because I would have needed to cap my drinking in order to drive back. As it wasI enjoyed the day and felt good about the return journey.

As it turns out, however, the drive back wasn't great. I've been doing some eye tests recently because my vision seems a bit off, especially in my right eye. I've done some tests which have been inconclusive but there may be some damage to one of my optical nerves and there's something wrong with the tension levels. I'm doing a course of eye drops for 2 months before I go back again. Anyway, I hadn't done any considerable driving at night for a while and after an hour or so on the road I realized that the lights from the other cars' headlights were really bothering me. I got home ok, driving slowly and cautiously but am quite concerned. I don't want to wait another 6 weeks till I finish the course of eye drops so I might seek a second opinion.

Anyway... Hope you guys have a great day!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I had eye problems that got progressively worse and made night driving very challenging. Turned out I had severe cataracts and had the surgeries last summer. Hopefully the drops will help !
Old 02-29-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Son of a bitch. I missed posting yesterday. FAIL!

I post for tobacco quit as well as groups they have for alcohol quit and drug quit. I also post support for new tobacco groups and an alcohol slow down group.

I post so many places, it's nuts.

Well, I'm here today.

Quit. 315 days in the books baby.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
OMD

Sorry about the eye issues Amp, I really am. I hope you get things sorted soon.

Shame on you Inc!

Best wishes
OMD