Notices

using a word processor

Old 02-19-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

using a word processor

Can I type the 4th step? As opposed to writing. I found something in my word processor that lets me do 3 columns. My sponsor told me to write them out but it seems like a lot more work to do that.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Print out sheets with the three columns and then write it out on those. I'm a big typer but there was just something about writing it out by hand that made it more personal. Maybe because I write slower and it gave me more time to think rather than just banging it out on a keyboard.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I started with a template on computer and after a few days shredded it, picked up a pen and "set them on paper". There was something more intimate for me in this and feel into the category of starting to follow directions

The inventory is 4 columns .........this is the mention of the 4th column on pg 67 - "Referring to our list again. Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done, we resolutely looked for our own mistakes. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking and frightened? Though a situation had not been entirely our fault, we tried to disregard the other person involved entirely. Where were we to blame? The inventory was ours, not the other man's. When we saw our faults we listed them. We placed them before us in black and white. "

Good for you on doing a 4th step - it's your inventory and there is no wrong way - that was simply how I did mine, my experience and understanding.

Keep it up!
Old 02-19-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

half measures availed us nothing.

At some of these we balked. We thought we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all the earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

prolly put in more work than this gettin drunk.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

listen to your sponsor. there is something awesome about writing things with pen or pencil to paper, very cathartic. and often times I find what I have written, I had no idea I had written it when I read it again.....
Old 02-19-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

but it seems like a lot more work to do that.

don't skimp on the work, i think, is the best advice for everything in this entire process. being thorough requires it. no shortcuts.

for me, i type with one finger. well, one can't call that typing, of course, but i'm saying: it's a lot of work for me to write on the computer.
and it doesn't feel nearly as personal as handwriting. there is a certain distance that disappears when i use pen and paper.
when i first started the step-stuff, my sponsorperson would send me "work" in email, things to think about and respond to, and only the first couple of times did i do this on the computer.
the effect of doing it for "real" made it more "real".

the wish to get away from more work would be a deciding factor for me to do it exactly the more work-intense way.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love typing so much, I would do everything on the computer if I could. I like typing better cause it's a lot faster than writing it out longhand. Not to mention, I have carpal tunnel and it hurts to hold a pen.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My sponsor made me write mine too. I just shrugged my shoulders and did it. Acceptance
Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

who knows more about writing AA inventory, you or your sponsor? Listen to whomever has more wisdom and experience.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I wrote mine out by hand because my sponsor said for me too
Old 04-18-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
Can I type the 4th step? As opposed to writing. I found something in my word processor that lets me do 3 columns. My sponsor told me to write them out but it seems like a lot more work to do that.
I hated the idea of writing out my 4th step, especially since I can type extremely fast.

However, I did what I was told. Why? Because I had reached the point of desperation and so my willingness to put aside what I wanted to do, was finally lessened by my willingness to do whatever it was I needed to do to get well from those who are well.

Yes it's more work to write. But there are reasons for it. There's something to do with the brain/motor connection with actually writing something out vs typing it.

I would not have recovered if I typed my 4th step. I see that clearly now. I would not have seen what I needed to see with my own handwriting.

The truth flows a lot better from the brain-to-handwriting connection than it would have with typing.