Notices

Grateful not to be with that guy anymore!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful not to be with that guy anymore!

Two days ago I got in my car to go to the gym at 6:30 AM and my phone blew up with new text messages. Well, I don't text much so I was surprised but then I remembered that I was going to be picking up a buddy at the airport that day so maybe something was up with his flight. No, it was a guy who used to work for me years ago leaving a series of messages that can only be described as vile. As soon as I saw what it was I stopped reading--way too early for that kind of torture.

Later, after a couple of cups of coffee I got up the nerve to read the gross messages. He was obviously drunk, he is a raging alcoholic so he is always drunk. I hadn't heard from him in almost a year, why was he on me now? The messages didn't have any obvious clues, just the same old lies and slander. On first glance it seemed aggressive but after re reading it was very sad and powerless.

He stopped working for me around the time that I became sober. I didn't fire him, he just drifted away. I had always thought of him as somewhat of a drama queen but with clear eyes it seemed even worse. The longer I stayed sober, the more drunk and off the rails he got. His wife left him and after a period of attempting to help him I had to let him go. I thought he was threatening my sobriety. On purpose. I started to see that he lied a lot for apparently no reason.

Once he was no longer on the team, we all started to see what a drain he had been. Everything was so much lighter without him and his drama. This sensation dovetailed nicely with my newfound sobriety. It made me feel like I was on the right path, a welcome counter to the craziness and cravings of quitting a lifetime of hard drinking.

Now almost five years later, he is still trying to inject drama into my life. The text messages were so nasty and threatening that I considered showing them to the police but I decided that was the kind of drama that he was seeking. I am grateful to be able to do that, to let toxic people go.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for Caller Blocking.