Notices

Flax seed oil

Old 02-17-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Flax seed oil

Just thought I'd share something simple that seems to be helping my morning depression, and reducing sugar cravings--two tablespoons of flax seed oil a day.

I was taking it for skin and hair health and not expecting these other areas to improve, so there's no chance of a placebo effect. Of course there may be no connection at all but after reading further about the health benefits of flax seed, sugar cravings reduction and improved mood are two more benefits. I noticed a difference the very next day after I took it.

A lot of people on the net vent that even with healthy eating and exercise they still feel very depressed. There are many reasons people get depressed and not always food related, but some of these healthy eaters may not be eating the RIGHT health foods for their particular body.

Low blood sugar(hypoglycemia) is likely common for people with alcohol and sugar addictions, and people with this would probably do best following a hypoglycemic diet, whereas someone else would benefit more following a diet for people with high blood sugar problems. Etc.

Good to see a doctor or nutritionist, instead of just self-diagnosing of course. Also SAM-e, sold everywhere, is supposed to work as well as any anti-depressant. Works for about 70% of people who use it from what I've read. It has helped me a lot, too.
Feel free to share what has helped you cope with depression as well.
Gotta run
Old 02-17-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A little OT but I've been giving my dogs flax oil in their dinners for years. Good for the skin and coat, and good for many other things.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use ground flax seed in my fruit smoothies. Yes, good stuff.